• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce2 MX mem bus speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samuknow

I just Picked up one of 2 GF2 MX. The one I have running now is showing a core speed of 200 MHz and a Mem of 140MHz. What's up with that? I thought the MX 400 ran at 200/166. I will install new drivers and coolbits tonight and see if I can push it up to 166 or better. But can this be right?

your right on that
the nvidia specs set that as the 200/166 for the mx400
but often its left up to the manufacturers to decide what to use
and the worse ones buy cheap memory and run it slow
hence u get ripped off
what make is the card??

Never heard of that brand, and yes, the prior post is right, some manufacturers skimp on critical stuff like memory to sell cheaper to you.

The Gainward should be a good card, though.

The strange thing is there is a fan on the HS. It seems like they would have skimped there instead of the ram.

Oh well. I will have the other card in a couple of days....

samuknow (Jul 18, 2001 01:05 p.m.):
The strange thing is there is a fan on the HS. It seems like they would have skimped there instead of the ram.

Oh well. I will have the other card in a couple of days....

Yeah, they skimp someplace.. More than likely they had the heatsinks/fans left over or bought in bulk to be used with a bunch of different cards that would require it... or they figured it made it more attractive (to detract from the poor performance :))... who knows, enjoy the new card and let us know how it goes.

Been home for a little while now. Set up new drivers; 12.60 and coolbits. I set the mem to 166 and the core to 210. It is running rock stable. I'm not sure what they did. The only reason I got this card was it had S-video and a RCA video out. Plus the fact that it was only 50$ shipped........I will compare it to the other card when it gets here.....

i must say ive never heard of that brand
(not that we get much stuff down under)
but the gainward should be good
im using an asus v1700 @200 and 200
without a fan on the heatsink
a fan is not really needed for the MX as its lots cooler than the GTS's
and they were prolly left over from some older cards they sell
and skimped on the memory

anywayz let us know how it goes

Just wanted to drop an update. I now have it set to 175, the fastest coolbits will allow. I also set the core to 210. It seems fine. I am going to try powerstrip just to see how high I can get the mem before locks up.........

New update. Been playing around with powerstrip. I have this card wound up tp 210/200. seems stable. No artifacing. I am running the Q3 demo001 and getting 87 FPS with all set to high quality and detail set to max and 800x600 res. I think I dig it. I have no idea why the mem clock was set to 140 to start with.

It seems like this card has crappy mem. The core was set to 200 as default. Not that it means alot. But that is the default speed fo an MX 400....

I will have the Gainward soon...

Back