• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new agp card in an old hp = help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

trying to upgrade the bosses old HP Pavilion 4550z by sticking in a Radeon 7000 agp.. he has an agp slot, and the only thing i can see about disabling his onboard vid no is where i can select either pci or agp card for boot video or whatever its called... whenever i try sticking in the new card (with the bios setting to agp or pci i tried both) alls i get is one long beep and 2 shorts... someone please tell me wtf i'm doing wrong! :p

ok i did test his 7000 in my other machine, and it works perfectly.. so its now a problem with is HP not liking the card... any ideas anyone? maybe HP firmware update?

ok just been researching and on some old forums a guy had the same problem putting in a nvidia agp card in the same kind of hp.. said to "need to move a jumper to the right spot, email HP and they'll email you the directions.." anyone know where i could find out which jumper it is? i dont really see much for jumpers anyway.. this is beginning to upset me :p

HP

I upgraded my friend's Hp with no problem, althoughit is a little newer than your boss's. I just unistalled the onboard video, and then shutdiwn and put the card in. Manually installed some new drivers when it asked and it runs fine.

My bad. I was thinking you wanted a layout of the motherboard. Arkaine is right. You have to uninstall the old drivers first. Live and learn. Like the old saying about not getting what you want but what you need. :)

Back