• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbiker321

I dont know to much about power supplies so i have to ask questions to learn. So my question is what would happen if i put in a few more fans into my computer and the power supply was to small in watts to power all the hardware in the computer? Would the computer not turn on?
or
Would only some hardware turn on while others stayed off?

P.S. Just to let you know i am using a 240 watt psu, micro ATX.

personally, i don;t use anything smaller then a 350W powersupply, and buying from a good company helps, i perfer Sparkle Powersupplies, i have never had a problem with them

The powersupply is the heart of your system, this is one area that people think they can go cheap on, wrong, that is the worst thing you can do, cheap powersupply=unstable mess of a computer

If u are using a motherboard monitoring program like MBM you will see how your PSU behaves with more hardware pulling power from it.
Have a good eye on the +5 and the +12 line....
If they should go way under 4.8 or 11.8 your powesupply might be too weak for your system.

System instability is what you would see. Data coruption would or could result due to low voltages and equipment not responding properly.:eek:

Back