• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie overclocker need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psykis

Registered
hi everyone this is my first post so pls don flame :mad: or anything bout the questions im bout to ask

im gonna get a bd7-II this this weekend which nwa should i buy for overclock 1,8 or 2?

can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to overclock this mobo?(pls forgive me cos after reading all the past posts im still confused by it)

can this ram support 2700ddr?

can this mobo hit 533 fsb and 133mhz(btw i saw lots of ppl typing
this out wat is it?)

thks any suggestion/advice is welcome.

psykis said:
hi everyone this is my first post so pls don flame :mad: or anything bout the questions im bout to ask
Welcome to the Forums!
im gonna get a bd7-II this this weekend which nwa should i buy for overclock 1,8 or 2?
in the northwood series i would suggest either the 1.6 or 1.8. both of which will overclock better than the 2.0. it all has to do with the front side bus and multiplier.
can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to overclock this mobo?(pls forgive me cos after reading all the past posts im still confused by it)

check this thread out for help.
can this ram support 2700ddr?

i think you mean can this motherboard support this ram. and the answer is yes. definately.
can this mobo hit 533 fsb and 133mhz(btw i saw lots of ppl typing
this out wat is it?)

for intel the fsb is "quad pumped" meaning fsbx4 = processor's fsb. the a series northy's are 100mhz the b series are 133mhz. so the a series runs at 100x4 or 400mhz and the b series runs at 133x4 or 533mhz.
thks any suggestion/advice is welcome.
don't mention it... we are all here to help each other out.

Thks Max really apprecite your help in all that

If you don mind could you mind telling me bout the th7-II from abit
i know it uses rdram or whatever is it better than the bd-7?

any replies or suggestion is welcome

one last word

THIS PLACE ROCKS

i just got rid of a 2.0ghz northwood.. you need a very exceptional processor to get above 2.5ghz really :/

Ok i finally figured out my new rig pls anyone pls give me some advice on the stuff and give your comments bout it

p4a 1.6
abit th7-II
512 mb rdram pc1066 kinston
msi gf4 ti4200
creative awe 64
maxtor ata 133 80gb

You might want to reconsider the pc1066 RDRAM. A lot of people have problems with it. Their mobos shut down when overclocking too high, and can't be restarted before some pc800 has been installed. Also pc1055 is not officially supported by the TH7-II. So you might as well save a few bucks, be sure your mobo doesn't lock up, and get the pc800 :cool:

thks for the reply jirnsum really appreciate it

one question if i use a 7f bios from mr nats and a 1.6a northy can i get a fsb of 133?
(i not really sure bout numbers but will the pc800 rams be comp with the cpu at 133 fsb?)one last thingy? can jirn or anyone tell me roughly which anorthy can clock to 133 fsb safely?(around 1.75v)
any comments or reply is welcome :cool:

1. For high fsb overclocking the 1.6a's seem to perform best, but you never know until you've tried ;) To get an overview see the CPU Database at http://www.overclockers.com/

2. The pc800 rdram might crap out at pc1066, but lately most strips seem to make it easily to pc1066. Otherwise set the RDRAM multiplier to 3X, and the mem will run at 133x3x2=pc800 again

sorry bout bothering you again jirn
so wat you mean is that pc800 rdram cannot a fsp of 133 mhz?
man that sucks do you think ddr333 can?

I didn't say that ;) Or at least that's not what I meant ;) I said pc800 MIGHT not do 1066 (which is running pc800 mem at an fsb of 133), but most of it currently does :D

and don't worry about bothering any of us :) we enjoy swapping knowledge and experiences :) that's why we come here :D

btw i saw your rig at the bottom of your post
do u mind telling me your configs pls?;) (wat bios setting u use wat ram etc)
i would really appreciate it as im afraid of frying my my cpu:eek:
man that will really sucks
Would really appreciate if you could reply thks in advance

I am currently at work, and don;t know them all by heart ;) but I will try to make an effort remembering

From the clockspeed you can see the FSB is 120 MHz. My memory is Kingston pc800. Voltage is set to 1.75, with Vid Pin Mod and Mr N's 7D BIOS. When I get my watercooling stuff, I will have to take the whole thing apart and probably upgrade to a newer BIOS. Mem speed is set to 4X, PCI/AGP to Fixed. Furthermore I have manually assigned IRQ's to my cards, as this prevented some BSOD situations in Win XP.

wow so thats the case the pc800 that i buy might not be able to handle the 133 fsb and if i buy the pc1066 it might crap my rig
man i hate to make choices

so maybe i have start looking at threads that says how to overcome this prob with pc1066 rams :( more research
thks for the info jirnsum really appreciate your help:D

you're welcome. Personally I'd go for the pc800. That gives you quite good odds at reachin 133 FSB with Ram at 4X, while not locking your mobo if you clock to high (and we all do that when looking for the edge). A locked mobo can be unlocked, but that is done by putting in pc800 (which you won't have if you go for the pc1066)

Back