• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do rebates really work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never ordered anything offline that had a rebate. However I have gotten quite a few things from stores and then mailed in my rebate and I have always gotten the cash back but it takes about 6 weeks.

I'd be very careful buying from Tiger Direct and looking for a rebate. Some time ago, I purchased three items that were supposed to be free after rebates. In all three cases, the items arrived in a timely manner, but no receipt, which was needed for the rebates, was enclosed. After two weeks of email exchanges, I received the receipts, but found that the rebate time period was expired. No amount of bitching on my part made them honor the rebates. Needless to say, I have never ordered from them again.

stool said:
I'd be very careful buying from Tiger Direct and looking for a rebate. Some time ago, I purchased three items that were supposed to be free after rebates. In all three cases, the items arrived in a timely manner, but no receipt, which was needed for the rebates, was enclosed. After two weeks of email exchanges, I received the receipts, but found that the rebate time period was expired. No amount of bitching on my part made them honor the rebates. Needless to say, I have never ordered from them again.

That my friend is the way true bussiness works..lol jk

Yea i have been jipped once before from a rebate but that was a long time ago.

I have bought about 10 products with rebates this year and have only failed to recieve one of them which was from....you guessed it Tiger lolol. i have sent several emails etc. and nada hehe

Some of my buddies had problems getting rebates when they bought online. I never bought online (with rebates) before, so I can't comment myself. But rebates from local stores like Staples or Future Shop work without problems.

JeffnNetti said:
I have bought about 10 products with rebates this year and have only failed to recieve one of them which was from....you guessed it Tiger lolol. i have sent several emails etc. and nada hehe

threaten them with a lawsuite and contact the better business bureau for false advertisement. Also, they're stealing your money. You know how fast you'll get your money so fast you wouldn't believe.

Of course Rebates work, they take forever to come in.

Most company's think that you will, but you just forget or figure it's only 10 Dollars.

Well, I guess it depends on the store. So far, I had no problems with Staples rebate, but I heard others like Officemax will give you a headache.

why do a rebate though? why not just mark down the prices. i heard somewhere that they take all the money you send them, put it in a big high intrest bankaccount and then after awhile send the money back to you and pocket the intrest. has anyone heard this?

Back