• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

networking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

i want to network the three comps in the household. My dad's comp and my comp both have XP, and my brothers comp has 98SE. can i network the 98 comp with the XP comps. how would i do this. the reason his comp dosent have XP is because it is too slow to run it

Yes you can network the computers quite easily. However, if this is your first attempt at networking, do yourself a favor and buy one of the bundled "networking in box" link the DFE-910 from D-Link. It comes with a switch and all you need to network two machines so you will have to buy one more NIC. You can look at one here.

Good luck!

Wedo

sure. and it isn't as hard as most people thought!

first of all, let's help u do the shopping list.

do u need to share the net connetion? if so, get a router w/ built in switch would be the best and easiest set up choose. if not, just hub or switch would do u fine.

how far apart r they?? and how much r u willing to fish cat5 cable through walls and stuffs??

let me know and i could walk u through. really, it isn't that hard! ;)

good luck

What Landshark said, and win98 will network with XP no problem. Some people have had glitches here and there, but generally it's just a wizard away.

Wedo

ok, i wasnt bery clear in my first post. i already own all the equipment required

3 NIC (1 Linksys, 2 3Com)
Router (Linksys)
Lots of CAT5 cable

i was wondering on how to configure the 98 comp to share files with the XP comps.

in most of the Win OS, if i remember it right, usually it's just a simple right click then share. u'll need to do that on all the machines (or the drives that u wanna share).

some how, it IS a little troublesome to network Win9x & WinXP/2k machines. lots of time, they all could share the net connection via router but couldn't see each other or saw but unaccessable. i did run into these when i network my farm too.

in my network, i have 3 machines running Win98SE, the rest r running WinXP. all WinXP rigs have no problem seeing / accessing each other, piece of cake! but those Win98SE rigs aren't as easy tho! some will work like a charm the first time. some doesn't. i've played around the network setting a lot. sometimes w/ no luck too. what i found out is, usually, a simple remove, then reinstall the NIC would work!

good luck and let us know how's going! :cool:

Back