• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHOA Baby -- NVclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tactics

In one of my earlier threads parkan suggest NVclock to help "tweak" my video card woes.

So, What do I say about it? Whoa Baby! If you play games and have a nvidia based card. NVclock is definately worth the time to download, untar, make, and make install.

When I get home from work and if I can pull myself away from my console (constantly upping the Mhz) I will post some figures for a TNT2 Vanta.

Tactics

It seems to be compatible with virtaully all nvidia cards. My nforce has been o/cd with it for quite a while. It automatically upps the freq to 220Mhz when I start a game (I made startup scipts for all my games). (BTW, thanks for giving me credit).

I tried it a while ago with my Gf2 ultra, all I noticed was my system getting slightly glitchier. I had q3 open as I ratchetted up the clock speed, didn't see any fps difference.

XWRed1 said:
I tried it a while ago with my Gf2 ultra, all I noticed was my system getting slightly glitchier. I had q3 open as I ratchetted up the clock speed, didn't see any fps difference.

Um, turning up the clock speed while running a game is a very bad idea.:burn:

I notice more fps increase as I up the ram Mhz, however I am more conservative on the ram Mhz than clock. Upping the clock did remove some of the "clipping" I would get when under intense stress.

I'd suggest fiddling with it some more. Its helped me put off a videocard purchase for a while longer :) (untill this one cooks)

Tactics

Well, I upped the ram and core clock. I left quake3 open because I wanted to guage the changes immediately, and I figured it wouldn't matter because the video card will be working harder than I can imagine either way.

XWRed1 said:
Well, I upped the ram and core clock. I left quake3 open because I wanted to guage the changes immediately, and I figured it wouldn't matter because the video card will be working harder than I can imagine either way.

Think about it, you don't use softFSB while running a benchmark are you? (well, you are not using it at all but you REALLY wouldn't want to use it under stress). I am suprised you didn't get a nasty clock scew/video artifacts/crashes when you were doing that.

It shouldn't matter.

I mean, the machine might be less stressed, but its still doing plenty of work accelerating my 2D and stuff, the 3D engine is sitting there idling. If changing the clockspeed while running introduced some sort of instability, it should be just as apparent whether certain parts of the processor were working or not.

Why should changing my bus speed with softfsb while running, say, setiathome, make a difference as opposed to not running seti? It shouldn't. Either way, the cpu is being excercised and circuit paths are getting used. Its just that they might be getting used more or less, but any sort of errors should be revealed in either case.

Back to the point though, my machine glitched out a little bit but I backed off to normal speeds and it was fine. I didn't crash, no programs segfaulted, and my q3 fps was unchanged.

:confused: I dunno. It appears to work wonders for everyone else. I am curious to see the results from one of my friends GF4 4600 using nvclock....

Currently,

My stock speed on the Vanta is

Memory Speed: 125 Mhz
GPU Speed: 100Mhz

After NVclock
Memory Speed: 150
GPU Speed: 145

for some reason it appears my memory is holding me back.... :shrug:

Tactics

Back