• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS lies about CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

I got mad/worried about the temps my mobo cept showed me...

When the comp was idleing the mobo showed 50 dregees, witch is pretty high...
And since I already knew that asus post wrong temps i decided to find out my "real" temp.
The mobo has 2 pins called JTPWR (thermal sensor reader) so i took a thermalsensor from some abit mobo and placed it in to the pins. Then placed the sensor on my cpu and replaced my w/b.
Wupti ! :eek: ! 40 degees idle temp WTF? I figue asus shows higher temps to prevent the CPU from getting damaged when overheated? If the mobo is set to shut the pc down when the temps reach 90 - 95 degrees then it might still damage the CPU? Am I right on this one? So if the mobo is tricked in to beliving that, instead of the 80 - 85 degrees with would be the actual temps, then it will shut the comp down before it reaches "death" temps... Kinda like an insurence :D would be nice if asus had made this "optional" though...

Dont know about the rest of the mobos but I'm sure all the asus KT266 do the same thing. I think the new A7V333 reads the temps directly from the diode in the cpu, but im not sure...

40c idle? Damn! I would KILL to have idle temps that low (idle for me right now is ~45c)!

As for your reading, its pro'lly off at least a bit. You were using a sensor that was not calibrated for the board you were using it on, and that's bound to show some inconsistancies.

After getting my 8K3A which reads the internal chip diode I have realized that the Asus 10 high is actually right compared to the temps I get. Which means that insocket thermistors on most boards are getting read low:eek: So Take the temp readings for what they are which is a general guide to where you stand temp wise. Good luck!

Oni no Oni said:
40c idle? Damn! I would KILL to have idle temps that low (idle for me right now is ~45c)!

As for your reading, its pro'lly off at least a bit. You were using a sensor that was not calibrated for the board you were using it on, and that's bound to show some inconsistancies.

Hmm do you think the sensor matters? its just piece of wiere with a little sensor on the edge... Ill post a pic of it soon...

For the record as im writing this my temp is 36 degrees..

God I love w/c

Ok I've taken some pics of the sensor and temp results I get:

sensor.jpg

The sensor

sensor2.jpg

Sensor close up

ip45cpu.jpg

CPU sensor temp = 45 idle temp

ip33jtpwr.jpg

JTPWR sensor temp = 33 idle temp

ip27case.jpg

Case temp...

fullload.jpg

BIOS monitor temps after reboot from full load

wb.jpg

The sensor attached on the CPU with my lovely w/b on it :D

Cant see why the sensor should be inacurate....

Back