• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Systems weak point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MilhouseOfHoror

Registered
I decided to play around a little with my WC system the other day. I turned both of my variable RPM enermax fans to their lowest settings and watched my CPU temp "soar" up another degree and a half C (while doing seti, [email protected]).
Im thinking that my radiator isnt the weak point my system (DD Black Ice Extreme), so that leaves either flowrate or my block itself.

Would a higher end pump (from an eheim 1048) help more than a different block (DD Maze3 AMD w/ acrylic top, currently), or would neither be a realy worthwhile upgrade?

Im going to be building an aluminum res to play around with, but Im going to do another post about that when I start on it
Going to try sticking a pelt on it :D

Anyway, would a new block or pump help me much? I didnt think that flowrate would be much of a problem as Iv got a rather small system going (pump->block->rad->pump), but IM the n00b ;)

well, im kina a newb to watercooling myself (should get the rest of my parts soon :)), but i know increasing your flow wont help much IF you have to get bigger pump that puts out more heat to do it. A better waterblock may help, not sure how the gemini compares to the dangerden, i know it beat the Maze 2 hands down in hoots test, but i dont know how the maze 3 performs.

what temp are you running yoru cpu at? Probably you could just check to make sure you have sweeping runs of tubing rather than sharp turns also. That should help water flow alot better. That way you can get more heat from your waterblock. If that is the limiting factor.

are you trying to go sub-ambient with your WC set up or are you just trying to keep temps at ambient.

If the later is the truth, then it's probably not worth the effort to do it considering your radiator is limiting you from getting sub-ambient temperatures.

If the first is true, then you'll want to look in to adding a peltier, multi-cascade sytem, refridgiration, heat pipes, or something else that will take more heat away from your system.

Your radiator is the limiting factor to how cool you can get your system. The other parts just improve it's performance.

to cheez

Yep to me it didnt seem the radiator was the problem, not knowing the gph of the pump~pressure of pump, what water block he has or case temp vs outside air i am not sure exactly what is the limiting factor. I have read that the black ice radiator needs a fairly strong pump pressure wise anyways to work really well. Hope we can help with all this.

Back