• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alternative to H2O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FDUSMC

Has anyone tried an alternative to H2O and redline that works better. Not saying my temps are bad just always looking for a way to drop those temps.

i dont think there is anything better than pure water.. it would be cool if there was

I saw a radiator additive at the auto part store that was pretty cold to the touch. It came in a tin gallon container. The price was pretty high though at $20.

there is no way to have something be cold like that, unless its compressed or soemthing like that, it just wont stay cold i dont know how to explain this in theory but it just doesnt work like that

it was cold because tin is a good heat conductor. out fingers use heat to sense temperature. heat is theraml energy in transit. thus, with wood and metal at same temperatures, metal is gonna feel colder, because more energy is being transfered from your fingers per time unit. wiht out a tempereture difference, heat cant be moved, unless of coarse you use a heat pounmp( aka, peltier or fase change). so anything in a room is gonna cool down to or heat up to room temperature and no further, unless the second(i think) law of thermal dynamics is wrong.

water is preetty much the best coolant you can get, there are probobbly better ones, but not mmuch better, when you consider that water is practically free. using like 3% water wetter isnt gonna huire waters cooling performance much. you could always use murcury....

FDUSMC said:
I saw a radiator additive at the auto part store that was pretty cold to the touch. It came in a tin gallon container. The price was pretty high though at $20.

dont add that... only thing stuff does is make sure the water doesnt freeze in the winter and make the boiling temp of the water a little higher (believe me im a car mechanic) best coolant is pure water :)

Actually!

Pure methynol is the way better a tranfering heat than water.
The only problem is.... it evaporates like crazy. The alcohol particals would probably get through the smallest opening which is water tight, not gas-tighht.

And it would be extremely flamable. Even the smallest leak onto ur mobo or other eletircal part would make yr whole system go pooof!!!:D

Me and my friend experimented with adding a mixture of methynol to watter and water wetter. The temp improvement is minimal when using it in a mixture. And it evaporated in about a week...

Soo water w/waterwetter is the most pratical way of cooling.:D

The only way you could use methynol in is in a closed system (no evaporation) that was pressurized so the methynol's boiling point is raised. The bad thing though is that would mean you're pump would be working hard to pump the methynol through your system since it's pressurized.

Back