• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turn comp off, but not all shuts off..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

a couple of times i have turned off my machine and the cpu fan and fans still run.. the hdd always turns off... i have to unhook the power cord..

Go into your BIOS, ASUS :rolleyes: Has some funky BIOS Control, set everything to default. If it just happened out of Nowhere, Then its a bad powersupply.

That sounds correct to me also Oni. I know that ASUS does have some options in the BIOS for the power button, personally I use my keyboard to boot-up then WinXP to stand-by or shutdown.

With 98SE, I'd have frequent shutdown problems. It would start to turn off, then stop at a black screen and hang. I'd have to hold down the power button, and then when I powered back up, it'd have to go through scandisk. I cured it by going to WinXP. Now it allways shutsdown correctly.

How do you shutdown ? if you hold the power button for about 4secs it goes into sleep mode. If you just click on shutdown from Start then it could be an APM/ACPI problem. I have about 40,000 workstations at work and some showed similar problems and we had to get the APM (Advanced Power Management) drivers fixed. Gladly it wasnt Windows cause that would have taen for ever to get a fix. Also try to get a newer bios.

hi all

I to have problems with shutdown !!!

heres my story i have had 3 brand new PSu's(different brands) and they have all the same problem! its not all the time, i run winXP and its been happening since the change of OS system!

it is like sleep mode of sorts, and when i hold power button in my comper shutsdown after 4 secs!

Also win98se i had the same black screen occasionally also on shut down, different board then!

i also get the bebug screen on shutdown sometimes saying something hasnt completely turned off or shut down?

so you are not alone on this and if anyone finds out what the problem is please post here!

thx......

I am a computer tech.
both windows 98 se and win xp home have shut down issues not matter what system

I know of many few people that can shut thier system down with win xp home. most people hit the power button and it rests or goes into stand bye. its not the mobo or the bios its the os.

I guy a i know who put 6 different psus in his pc. finally then switched from winxp home to winxp pro and bingo the problem was fixed.

The same goes for win98 se. it dose not always shut down proply. But after installing the via service pack bingo my machine will turn off. If that dose not work thiers a shut down patch some where on the mircosoft site

Rotary-Motion said:
hi all

I to have problems with shutdown !!!

heres my story i have had 3 brand new PSu's(different brands) and they have all the same problem! its not all the time, i run winXP and its been happening since the change of OS system!

it is like sleep mode of sorts, and when i hold power button in my comper shutsdown after 4 secs!

Also win98se i had the same black screen occasionally also on shut down, different board then!

i also get the bebug screen on shutdown sometimes saying something hasnt completely turned off or shut down?

so you are not alone on this and if anyone finds out what the problem is please post here!

thx......

its doing it on mine with XP PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm maybe it has to do with that advancded power management.. my OS is actually win2k pro.
oh and this happens when i shut down from windows. not hitting the power button

Do you have a via survice pak on ?
are you running a raid array ?
What services are running do you have any extraz like diskeeper ?

As stated in my previous posts i still it gotta do with apm.acpi. I use the latest via 4-1 and never have problems on my boxes when hitting the power off button-they are xp-home and xp-pro

Back