• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

grrr this is not cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

pun intended with the subject title, but seriously: my CPU temps are reading 53 C (idle). My ambient is like 74 with the central AC. That idle seems too high from what i've read. I'm using an Alpha 8045 with the Enermax on full blast (40 CFM). I've applied the Arctic Alumina according to the instructions on the AS website. Can improper grease application really cause such errant temps? Will not using lint free cloth really screw it up that much? this is really irritating. It's like i need my own sterile laboratory to apply thermal grease.

It would be best not to get anything else between the cpu and the heatsink but the thermal compound, like lint, oil, dirt, etc..
If you are to air cool it would also be recommended to have a good airflow through the box and a side fan blowing over the cpu/video card area. That would help alot with cooling.

well, first off, make sure your contact sufaces are clean enough to perform open heart surgery with. no lint, no fingerprints, nothing. then, apply a layer of AS3 as thin as a piece of hair. finally, make sure you have good airflow in the case, and then you should be good

Make sure you hsf is sitting nice and snug on the cpu. Take it off and put it back on if necessary. Also try taking the cover off your case and see if the temp drops. If it does, then you don't have enough airflow in your case.

Back