• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck drive door (from painting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

a few months back i modded the crud out of my box, the only problem is, one of my cd roms sticks shut. i painted the front plate black and the drive tray cover red. looks great, but like i say, it sticks shut. almost like the paint is wet and drys every time its shut. its odd, it only happens if the tray doesnt open for a few days, then i gotta pry it open. any ideas why or what i could do to fix it?

Yeah, it sounds like the paint is still drying slowly, it's common on plastics because it absorbs some of the thinners in the spray paint and dries very very slowly.
If the sanding doesn't work (I'd try it first though), you can try using some paint thinner on a q-tip to clean up some of the paint on the backside of the cd door and around the mating lip of the faceplate. Let dry overnight.

Be careful not to clean out onto the nice finished areas, because it may mess up your nice glossy surface.

If you're good with an exacto knife, this should work too on the door's backside.

its definately dry. i know it was wet when i first had it, but like i say, its been a few months. also there is no paint on the back side of the tray door. i made sure of that with masking tape. wouldnt wanna mess up that pretty black spongy stuff. i almost wonder if maybe that indented the paint while it was still wet and it just seats into its own indents really well, but when i type it out it sounds ludicris. lol. im afraid to sand it cuz it ruins the finish, but who knows. maybe its worth a shot since its covered when its closed anyway

On one of my CD-ROM's you can stick a screwdriver through the back and push the tray with as much force as you want (it is also a good way to get a CD out of a removed CD-ROM).

One thing to remember: even though the paint dries in a few hours, it still takes several days to cure and harden. Until then, depending on the humidity, it can stick. Better yet, if you can, use vinyl dye for optical drives. Looks like a factory job.

yeah, like i said before, its had well over a month to dry. paint does take a long time to dry however. it skins over in an hour or less, but a thick coat can take weeks. thats not it. i think the sanding should do it. i just gotta try it. no time really, but ill do it soon enough. thanks yall. btw, about that screwdriver thing. most drives have lil holes ya can stick a paperclip in to release the drive tray. its a lil easier than forcing it open with a screwdriver. and about the vinyle dye, id use that except one, its already painted, and two, it doesnt give the high gloss look that matched the rest of the case. but i gotta admit, the stuff is great if ya dont need that gloss and ya want a factory look. much more durable than paint

Back