• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Losing Power??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jadams

OK, I have a problem and some of you may be able to help me.

Recently my system has been partially shutting it self off. The motherboard and everything attached to it (like fans) shuts down, but the fans that are not connected to the MB still run, and the drives' (both cd drivers and the floppy) LEDs come on and stay on.

If I shut down with the power button, and try to restart, it will not POST. BUT If I shut off the powersupply with it's own switch (or unplug it) and turn it back on, it will boot up fine, only to shut down after a random amount of time. So far I have not been able to stay on for more than 15min.

I stopped using it, till I work out the problem. All those unschedualled shutdowns can't be too good for my harddrive hehe.

Anyway, the reason I am posting here, is that someone I know said it could be the powersupply. Any thoughts on this? My first thought was I somehow screwed the motherboard or someother component. Also I have been having other strange problems lately. I will post below, read if interested.

Here is my system

Antec sx1040b case with the 400w psu that comes with it.
Abit kt7a-r
Athlon T-Bird 1.0GHz (usually running at 1.33, dropped it when problem started)
512mb RAM
GeForce2Ti
Maxtor 30gb 7200 HD
16x DVD
LiteOn 24x writer
SB Audigy
DLink Ethernet Card
Rest of devices are USB
Serial and Parallel ports are disabled.

Other Things:
-Right before the computer started screwing up like above, I had opened it up, removed the hsf and added arctic silver to it. I was grounded and was carefull putting the hsf back on (Doesn't require much pressure to get it on.)
-I had been using the Antec psu to test my neons/glowing fans on my other system that I am moding. I would plug them into my main computer, and turn it on.
-LiteOn stopped reading and writing, would just spit out discs. I took it in, and the techs said they had it working no problem. I got it home (A week later), and it worked. (Then new problem above started)
-Computer was having trouble recognizing the HD on the RAID controller. I started doing the full POST tests (Instead of the Quick POST) and I have not had the problem since.

Back