• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plz help with cpu choice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeffnNetti

I need to contact Silversinksam in regards to a tr
I am going to build my kids a new computer this weeek. my CPU budget is $90 which will get me a intel celeron 1.7 ghz or the amd xp 1800 1.53 ghz.

i was curious about what the performance diference would be between these 2, the celeron is based on the p4 and has 400 mhz FSB vrs the XP's 266 mhz FSB.

the only intel i have ever owned is a celeron 733 which is slow compared to my duron 700...

any info/advice much appreciated.

i would think the xp1800 is not only better than the 1.7ghz celery, but it should flat out destroy it... if your going to overclock... think about the xp1600

The Intel 1.7ghz celeron is based on the Willamette core (the old p4 core which sucks). To top it off it only has 128KB Cache.

Basically it's not good when it comes to gaming, an athlon xp crushes it. It's also very weak when it comes to rendering video/audio due to its lack of cache.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1622&p=9

There's anandtech's review of it. I just posted page 9 at the gaming benchmarks assuming that's all your kids are going to be doing on it for a while :)

Get the XP! :beer:

:edit: oops, sorry, i shoulda read the post above, umm go with the 1800+ :p :edit:

there is a bench over at andandtec where a stock XP 1600+
WHOOOPS a 1.7 celeron overclocked to 2.2 ghz!!! :eek:

oh and i think they also had a duron 1.3 beat it too :p

I would also go with the xp and agree with elitemetalx..The 1600 xp is the best bang for your buck if you get a newer core (stepping) and plan to OC..

yes the kids will play games like MOHAA, DS, NWN, morrowind, blood omen 2 and jedi 2 etc.. they will use it for school aswell but that hardly stresses it hehe.

i had no idea the celeron 1.7 would be that bad :)

any suggestions as to a MB for $120 or less for the XP 1800 please ? i want a very stable board with atleast some overclocking potential. i am way behind the times as far as motherboards are concerned hehe. i guess i want a kt333 board ???

thanks alot for the info guys :)

I would suggest the AMD.

Now like the others have said, if you're gonna o/c the chip, then get the XP1600+ which you can get at much higher speeds than the XP1800+.

So far, Ive got mine (see sig) to 1858mhz.:)

get a 1600+ from newegg for $70 (i think its less now!)

even if you dont overclock it should DESTROY a celeron in EVERY test.

so the 1.4 mhz xp 1600 can clock higher then the 1.53 mhz xp 1800 ?? that just doesnt make sense lol. someone explain that please ?

It must be the way they were manufactured. I don't know why but I have first hand proof that the XP1600+ does blow the XP1800+ away w/ overclockability.

Jut last week I had a brand new XP1800+ AGOGA and the highest FSB I could run stable w/ it was 147FSB (1690mhz) while my XP1600+ right now is at 1858mhz. Can't explain why though.

That is a good MB that you are talking about, but if you want something for a good bang for the buck go with the Epox or this shuttle one in my sig. The epox is 41 bones and the shuttle is 35, thats shipping included. You can overclock like crazy on both boards.

Like what was said before, can't explain it, but the 1600+ seem to be the winner for xp overclocking. They are some good chips.

actually i totally disagree with going with the epox 8k3a.

i have owned a 8k3a and i currently use the kx7-333

the abit is sooooooo much better

the epox is very unstable no matter what you do to it. the new bios updates dont change anything. The performance is not as good as the abit either.

if you want the voltages the epox gives than just do a vmod. simple as that. you really dont need a vmod unless you wanna clock 1900mhz or higher.

About the 1600+ vs the 1800+, it does not matter which one you buy. All new athlons 1900+ and below are all the SAME chip but with a different stock multiplyer. You will be able to get the same speed generally if you get a AGOIA stepping than you would with any.

If you get a 2000+ or 2100+ you will be able to get higher tho cause they have slightly diff steppings so i have heard (dont have firsthand experience with them).

So i recommend getting either a 1600+ or 2000+ depending on high you want to go and how wide your wallet is.

Always go OEM btw never get a retail chip.

buy your cpu's from newegg.com also

any suggestions as to a MB for $120 or less for the XP 1800 please ? i want a very stable board with atleast some overclocking potential. i am way behind the times as far as motherboards are concerned hehe. i guess i want a kt333 board ???

MSi KT3 Ultra! Great board for overclocking and overall. Not to mention very cheap (unless you get the ARU version).

ARU = 6Channel (A)udio, (R)aid, (U)SB 2.0

If you don't need any of those things, that knocks off like $50 off the price. Then again I'm in Canada and playing with monopoly money, so I paid $120 for mine, as opposed to $185 for the ARU version, which is still a good price.

$120 CDN = $76 USD, and hardware in the US is cheaper than here, so probably like ~$60 USD.

Not sure why I'm assuming you live in the states.. :eh?:

Thank you all very much for all the advice/info guys, you have made my decision much easier :)

Exx, how is the 6 channel audio on the msi kt3 ultra ?? would be nice if i could just skip getting a sound card...

the kt3 ultra seems like a nice board and i think ill probably order that and a XP 1600 unless i hear any negatives in the next couple hours hehe.

newegg lists the kt3 ultra for $108

once again thank you.

the KT3 Ultra is not as good of a mobo as the Abit KX7-333 ($90 Newegg) because it does not have as much of a wide array of overclocking options as the abit one does (abit one lets you tweak every single feature to the max w/ the exception of the voltages which can be fixed by a simple vcore mod).

if you need the extra features of the KT3 Ultra ARU than that is a diff story but you should really get the Abit KX7 if you just want a plain motherboard.

the raid version of the kx7 is $103 on newegg

Exx, how is the 6 channel audio on the msi kt3 ultra ?? would be nice if i could just skip getting a sound card...

Wish I could tell ya, but I didn't get the option myself seeing as how I already had the sblive.

You can checkout a good review of the board at firingsquad.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msikt3/default.asp

Whichever board you go with, I'm sure you'll be happy. Both the MSi and the Abit produce great results.

Well if you want to hold out for a little longer you could get an nForce2 board. otherwise the KX7-333 is like 89 bucks at newegg. Its like 61 refurb if you can find it.

I've had no problems with stability on my Epox EP-8k3a+. I originally got the KX7333 and it was a nice board as well but I had some problems with it. I guess your board decision is personal preference I would go with eithier one but I like the epox a little more.

Shawn

hehe yeah i def recommend a nforce... but it is not a little longer... its till OCTOBER!

sure there will be SOME in september but they will be crappy ones, the good ones (abit, epox, etc) dont come out till october!

Back