• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance watercoling noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blammo300

Registered
I currently have a thermoengine heatsink with a Delta fan. According to review sites it is 46.5dBA, and that is loud. In fact because of it I would not like to have a air cooling system ever again. I have heard that water cooling is not quite as loud.

Does any have a Koolance 601 water cooling case that could tell me what they think of it in terms of performance and noise level?

I'm interested as well about the Koolance 601 for my "no trouble" system. Check at this link for some measures but i would be also interrested to have something like a wav or mp3 to compare Koolance noise (at low) vs some known fan (like delta) to ajust the volume. I would burn myself a CD-RW to hear it in my home theater without the noise of my Superorb...

[edit... i forgot to give the link :)]
from overclockers... the Koolance review (model C)

NOISE TEST
I used a Radio Shack Sound Meter to record noise levels (these readings are with my Silent 275 Power Supply). I held the meter 24" from the case (readings too low at 3 feet) at a 45 degree angle from the top, facing the left side of the case; I include a reading from my microwave, 24" from the front, at full power for a sound reference :

Fans at 45%: 51 dBA
Fans at 100%: 55 dBA
Fans at 45% + rear case fan: 54 dBA
Fans at 100% + rear case fan: 57 dBA
Microwave, full power: 59 dBA
Obviously, if you locate the case further away from where you sit, the sound drops off quickly. The first Koolance is virtually silent - a radio playing softly will mask any case noise. With this one, you may have to turn it up a notch.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles457

Don't forget that he took the measures at 24" from the case, he had a chipset and video card HSF and we don't know the brand of his hard drive... (should be negligeable but we never know...) What bugs me is the not so far comparison with a microwave... A microwave (mine at least) does a lot of noise...

Last edited:
Back