• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Window (Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow that is amazing is that glass? i am wayyy too much of a coward to try that maybe with a bigfoot but not my main hd

Yes Gerst...that is a glass cover

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Some detail on how I performed this mod:

In order to protect the drive from getting "contaminated" by dust etc., I followed an approach where I tried to control the working environment as much as I could while employing speed in the removal and mounting of the new casing. To this end I did the following: I prepared the window before touching the hard drive. The frame for the window was made using a 1/8" solid , square acrylic rod which was glued to a 4"X5-5/8" glass pane.The actual mod itself was performed in my bathroom after letting the hot water in my shower run for approximately 15 minutes. The resulting humidity in the air will "attract" dust and minimize the possibilities of contamination. Afer preping the work area, I removed the screws to the drives original casing and removed it. I placed the new cover on as quickly as I could (a couple of seconds). I placed rubberbands to hold everything in place and proceeded to apply a silicone cement around the edges of the drive where the drive and window met.

Kudos for hmale is right!!

Very nice mod!!

BTW
Seen your other stuff on PRocooling's forum and I must say that ur H20 setup is looking good. Is that going to go into ur clear case ?

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

B8ng8,
Yes, I will be including this drive in my clear case project. I have started a work log at another site with ALOT more information and pictures (I have over 200 pics so far).

If you guys want I can send you a link when I catch up on my entries (in about a day or 2).

Thanks to all...cheers!

Back