• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about celerons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
alright, one of my friends told me that the reason celerons are cheaper is because they are defective pentiums....but they have less cache, and less transistors, but he said thats because they are defective.

whats the difference between pentiums and celerons

RangerJoe said:
alright, one of my friends told me that the reason celerons are cheaper is because they are defective pentiums....but they have less cache, and less transistors, but he said thats because they are defective.

whats the difference between pentiums and celerons
less cache yes like the duron. But I hardly doubt its cuzz of a defective CPU. What in the world made ur friend think that? I dont know the truth either thats my guess. I would even put money on me. then again i do lose alot to reno so im not a wize investment.:beer:
So does that make the Pent 3 a defective P4??? DOH!:eek:

Re: Re: question about celerons

NO1 said:

So does that make the Pent 3 a defective P4??? DOH!:eek:

LMAO thats exactly it. Those are stupid misconceptions made by the generally ill informed public. Celly's are only P3's with less cache, and less transistors as a result of the lack of cache

Re: Re: Re: question about celerons

---X--- said:

as a result of the lack of cache
The guy at Frys told ur friend that to sell him the P3 system instead of the celeron. I bet he is LOLzing about the few extra dollar of commision he got. And thats another reason people buy Celeron. Lack of cache. I mean cash.
;)

I went to the dealer and bought this Brand new Acura NSX. I got it for a real good deal it only cost me $21,000. It was a defective so they named it Integra GSR. and I lost 120 horse power too :(
LOLz im sorry, but i couldnt resist.:D

Actually, I read a couple of articles in the past about the Coppermines that suggested this might be true. Supposedly, if the CPU's cache had a defective resistor or if the cache didn't spec out right to the full 256k, then Intel castrated the bad portions to make it a 128k cache Celeron. I have no idea if this is totally accurate or not, but it makes sense that Intel would do that and I'm betting the "friend" heard about or read those same articles.

This might be true for the old 128K Celeron, but surely not for the Celeron A´s wich have the same amount off cache as PentiumIII´s
The only difference between Celeron A and Pentium III Tualatin is, that the Celeron runs 100 Mhz Fsb and Pentium III 133 Mhz

batboy said:
Actually, I read a couple of articles in the past about the Coppermines that suggested this might be true. Supposedly, if the CPU's cache had a defective resistor or if the cache didn't spec out right to the full 256k, then Intel castrated the bad portions to make it a 128k cache Celeron. I have no idea if this is totally accurate or not, but it makes sense that Intel would do that and I'm betting the "friend" heard about or read those same articles.
there may be some truth in there. but dont forget u must not sale in just 1 market. sell the lower dollar processor as well as the higher dollar. not every1 can afford the northies.
here is something a friend told me cuzz he use to work with HDs. when making a HD the quality is all the matters. sometimes if the cylinders comes out perfect u have an extremely high storage amount. but most times it doesnt come out perfect so maybe this batch has some bad sectors or somthing so it can only fit 80gig. this batch can only fit 40 gigs. and so on u follow me right? I guess they aim high but if it doesnt come out perfect they will turn it into a 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 160, and so on. does this make since? some1 correct me if im wrong.

-=UR=- Ranger said:
This might be true for the old 128K Celeron, but surely not for the Celeron A´s wich have the same amount off cache as PentiumIII´s
The only difference between Celeron A and Pentium III Tualatin is, that the Celeron runs 100 Mhz Fsb and Pentium III 133 Mhz

Dont the 512K P3-s Tualatins has the same die size as the 256K ones???? Isn't intel also disabling 1/2 the cahce on the 256K CPU's?

Isn't this what intel used to do back in the day of 486sx and 486dx chips, if the maths co-proccesor work the chip became a DX and if it didn't it was disabled and the chip became an SX?

Back