• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working with Laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Black_Mug

I dont see much in the way of laptop discussion. So my question is this.

Extra cooling, and possible overclocking of Laptops.
I need a field laptop, and found a P3 300Mhz IBM laptop.
I was curious as to wether or not i can overclock it, as well as better cooling.

Any info would be great.

Not too much you can do with laptops- components are proprietary and bios is pretty much neutered.

You MIGHT be able to do something with software, but I don't think it would be much if anything at all.

I oc EVERYTHING, but don't mess with them.

And the only way to improve cooling is to put it someplace very cold.

Hey there. There is a little you can do with laptops. I have seen a kind of "pad" that slides onto the bottom of the latop. It might screw in, I'm not quite sure. You might be able to find a software application that might be able to up your cou or fsb a little. But i do know that they make cooling pads for the underside of the laptop. You might want to check those out. They could help ya possibly. But as for the BIOS, yup- they're pretty much neutered.

I would not OC it at all. The cooling in laptops is only made to cool the certain processor and maybe a bit more. One of the guys I know from Westwood OnLine (gaming), well he overclocked his 700MHz Sony laptop and after 8 months the processor died. I wouldn't really mess with laptops, thats why I bought a PC. :D :cool:

if i wasnt selling my ;aptop i would soon be putting ina low profile water block of some sort with a low flow rate i feel this would do much better than what it has. also on my sony viao laptop it has an exhaust fane and an intake grid. i was gonnna adapt an 80 mm fan to the intake and exhaust with cardboard i thought this would greatly improve the cooling of the chip!

If you are *hardcore* you can hack apart the laptop, rmove the stock hs and insert a heatpipe of your own design, with the heat dispersion plate placed behind the screen.

parkan said:
If you are *hardcore* you can hack apart the laptop, rmove the stock hs and insert a heatpipe of your own design, with the heat dispersion plate placed behind the screen.

Or better yet, hack it apart and make it into a small desktop then you don't have to worry about the size of everything in your colling arsenal.

how would you power the 80mm fan?
If you use a waterblock, then the laptop isn't exactly portable, is it?

When i get fed up with my laptop, and when it is fairly useless, which shouldn't be too long now as it is quite old, I think I will try the waterblock thing, as I will be able to connect ot to my main PC water system.

Im sure an extra PS can be grafted onto a Laptop, much in the same way i attached 2 extra PS to my desktop.

Creating a lexan bottom to attach to the laptop will provide the extra space needed for more power/batteries/cooling. If needed.

Ive never owned a laptop, so i dont really know what i can get away with. I havent purchased it yet, so when i do get it im sure i will rip it apart to see what my limitations are.

Anything is possible, after all i am currentlly working on a refridgerated cooling system for my desktop, that all fits in a small server tower.

to tell you the truth i wouldnt bother with it since i think it will be a waste of money, you willl be VERY limited and you will most likely just be ****ed off that you bought the thing (come on its 300MHz and your going to make it into a desktop!) you are better off just getting a new comp and having a computer that is 10x better and 10x more oc'ing capabilities

Back