• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKooL

Registered
What's up with mIRC? What is IDENT and how do I get it? Apparantly I have been abusing the site and I need a new program or something...? :rolleyes:

-Joe

DALNET over the last year has become VERY VERY unfriendly.
Just my opinion. It used to be easy to use, but they are making it difficult to maintain your id and connect.

I was not on for over a year and it took me over 2 hours to get it to accept my ident. My old script program is no longer compatible either e.i. none of my scripts work now they changed like most of the commands.

again just my opinion and i'm sure they made the changes to shore up against hacking, but the network is a lot less easy to use, and I have to search for a decent script program that works and have yet to do that.

well have fun
TJ

keldin - The main thing they changed is how you need to forward messages to the services, they have to be in a /chanserv format instead of a /msg chanserv format. They did that to combat password stealers mostly I think. You can modify your existing script to take this change or of course you could just type the commands in :D

I've been using Dalnet for 5 years now and I agree, it's been a pain to get on lately. They've been having problems with attacks, server instability, etc for the last year which has made it tougher to attach to these days.

i found some good info on ident setting up...

Identd - by xfelix

THIS IS A SIMPLE IDENTD HOWTO
written by: xfelix

Okay here is the deal, this is not an actual HOWTO that you normally see out there, but none the less this should still help you if you follow it. If not then I suggest you look for the actual HOWTO on the net.

Lets say you have a linux server setup and running fine, and you have a few workstations attached. All is working well then you try and irc from your workstation and find that the IRC.DAL.NET is K-LINING you for not having your IDENTD working. This has happened to me many times. But don't you worry, that is what this HOW DO I is for.

Just a note, I am working with a Mandrake 6.0 server and Mandrake 7.0 workstation. I have worked closely with Linuxninja, who found most of the cure for this IDNETD problem I just refined it a tad as to make it work for me.

Thanks LinuXninja for your dedication and help on this.

Okay, Lets get to the meat of the matter. Like I said above, this is assuming you have your network up and running and the only thing that is left for you is your irc to work on your workstations. So lets do this.

This HOW DO I is also assuming that you can get on the IRC.DAL.NET with the server. That means that IDENTD is working on the server just not getting passed back to the network.

This HOW DO I is also assuming that you setup your (ip masquerading) for the network also.

(1) Su or login as root on your (server)

(2) Type in console or xterm (cd /etc)

(3) Now that your in the (etc) dir. you will need to edit a few files. I use the editor (pico) and or (jpico) for this.

(4) Type (pico inetd.conf)

(5) This opens the inetd.conf file and you need to arrow down to the line that looks just like this.
(auth stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o)

(6) That is the auth stream for your IDENTD, I suggest if your using xterm you wide'n the box to fit the screen. Here you need to add the (-q) tag. This is what your (auth) line should look like on your server when you do this. (auth stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o -q)

(7) Now ctrl+x awnser Y and hit enter.

(8) Okay you should now be back to the (/etc) dir, stay in this dir and type (pico identd.masq)

(9) When this opens you should see something like the following.
#192.168.1.2 user1 UNIX
#192.168.1.3 user2 WINDOWS
#192.168.1.4 user3 DOS
#192.168.1.5 * RELAY

(10) What you need to do here is change a few things, lets say your workstation is for example (192.168.0.2) this is just fine. In that case you will need to put that in the identd.masq. So it should look like this.

192.168.0.2 * RELAY
#192.168.2.3 user2 WINDOWS
#192.168.1.4 user3 DOS
#192.168.1.5 * RELAY

Notice a few VERY IMPORTANT THINGS here. The first line has no (#) meaning we uncommented this line. Also notice the (*) in place of the (user1), This lets any machine use identd.

linuXninja does not use this method with a Mandrake 7.0-2 server. This method should however work anyway. If not linuXninja's howdoi is here

Last but not least, notice the (RELAY) where it was once before (UNIX) this tells identd.masq to relay
all identd requests to the workstation (192.168.0.2) which was also changed to match the workstation (ip) So on that first line in (identd.masq) we changed the (#) the (ip) the (user1) and the (UNIX to RELAY). If you have more than one workstation and you care to run irc on them go on to the next line and follow what you did above for the next workstation and so on.

(11) Now ctrl+x awnser Y and hit enter

(12) Okay we are back to the (/etc) dir. Good deal, not much left to do with the (server)

(13) Last but now least with the (server) you need to run the command (killall -HUP inetd) what this does is restart inetd and puts the identd.masq into effect.

(14) NOTE: If you run a simple firewall with (hosts.allow) and (hosts.deny) you need to add in (hosts.allow) the line (in.inetd: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, 127.). IF YOUR a hosts.allow and hosts.deny firewaller you know what I mean here. If you do not use hosts.allow and hosts.deny your done and DO NOT need to do this.

Okay we are done with the (server) portion of this HOW DO I, there is only one thing left to do, if one of your workstations is a (unix) or (linux) workstation then you need to follow these steps bellow. If you are running the rest of your network on windows disrequard what is below.

(1) Su to root or login as root in console.

(2) type (cd /etc) then hit enter, when you type that don't use the () of course.

(3) type (pico inetd.conf) again don't use the () of course.

(4) Okay now you have the inetd.conf file open. Again arrow down to the line that looks like this.
(auth stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o)

(5) On that line now wide'n the xterm if you are in the xterm and not in console, and add the tag -Q so that the line will now look like this on your inetd.conf on your workstation.
(auth stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o -Q)

(6) ctrl+x awnser Y and hit enter.

Okay what this did on your workstation is tell it to run it's own (idnetd) when requested by the IRC.DAL.NET server. all you have left to do is run this command.

(7) run the command (killall -HUP inetd) on the workstation now. again do not use ().

Okay, you should be ready to rock on IRC.DAL.NET from your workstation. Open your favorite app such and BitchX or [x]chat or whatever. When you connect the IRC server it should be able to get identd from your workstation through your server and now your happy and I can go back to sleep. :)

ALSO: this in not an actual HOWTO, this is just to help the new people out there to get things running. That is of course that your setup matches what you see above. If not well then I suggest you goto the net and find the actual HOWTO on this subject. Please if this works for you goto our FORUM on the first page and let us know. We love to hear from the people we help. If this does not work for you and you find something that does then write your own howdoi and we will be happy to post it in your own section. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.linuxpeople.cc/howto/ircidentdhowto.htm?link

Back