• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VisionTek GeForce 3 Ti200 WaterBlock Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Ok well heres the problem:
I was thinking about getting either a Koolance 601 or Swiftech Qpower water-cooled case. Besides cooling my CPU and HD I also had wanted to cool my GPU.. but... when looking at my Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti 200 I noticed that the ram heatsinks might be in the way. The card has 2 heatsink strips for the ram (one on top and one of the right, the GPU is in the middle.) But im afraid that after I install the GPU waterblock the 2 connectors that stick out or even the tube will hit into the not so smooth edged heatsinks. Now I will probely be buying the Koolance 601 case so I will be using their GPU waterblock. I attached a picture of my card so u can see the heatsink strips and GPU. Do you think I will encounter this problem? If so how can I fix it?.. or am I going to be stuck with a no watercooled GPU. :( I was thinking maybe using the Geforce 4 Spacer to raise the waterblock above the ram heatsink lvl.. but then I would have the problem about if the spacer would fit.

if i remember correctly you just mite be able to make it fit, or you could hack up that heatsink a little bit, like cut out a few fins for the hoses...

I think its possible. If it is just a little bit tight just slide the ram sinks out a bit (while still covering most of the ram) or you could just cut them down. :)

Ok well I looked at www.frozencpu.com for info about the koolance videcard cooler and I found that theirs a chipset cooler which is pictured attached to a motherboard that has the 2 plugs angled up a bit, then I saw the videocard cooler which has the 2 plugs sticking straight out. I thought that the koolance Chipset cooler and videocard cooler where the same (they cost the same price too) but from the looks of the pics.. the chipset coolers plugs angle up while the videocard one doesnt... Does anyone know if you could use the Chipset cooler on my GeForce3 Ti 200 card? I might be able to fit the Chipset cooler on the card with no modding to the ram heatsinks but I dunno if the chipset cooler is sutable for a GeForce3 Ti 200 card. Also does anyone kno the size of these coolers? I might be able to tell if I knew the sizes of the coolers. Another thing that I thought might work would be to turn the cooler so the plugs are facing the left side but I would have to see if their are proper holes on my card to fit braket since I would need to turn it.. Well when I looked at my card quicky once I did see some other holes on the bottom other than the 2 the stock heatsink/fan is in, but Im not sure if their the right holes to stick it in.. does it realy matter?

If you want to add a TEC heres a great way to do it and it will solve all your problems....Im having one custom made

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1705

cold_plate_bottom_1.jpg

cold_plate_idle.jpg

Lots more pictures here

PS get the Swiftech over the Koolance....As the Quiet Power is just a better setup

Ah thanks for that solution!.. It might just be the way to go if I deside to watercool my GPU.. but how exactly would I attach it correctly? Would I just take the screws that came with the waterblock and thread em through or would I have to use a thermal paste to also hold it in place... seems like it might be a little heavy. Also besides adding articsilver 3 to the gpu.. would I also add it to the ram? Damn $45 bucks thoe... Well I may or may not watercool my gpu.. still havent desided.. but now in terms of watercooled systems ive had the choice of Swiftechs Qpower or Koolance 601 watercooled cases and I still cant deside! Now im looking for QUIET preformance.. my current HSF is Loud and anoying so I cant sleep with that pc on at night, but besides quietness I also want good watercooling preformance. I would have done it myself but my current case doesnt have enough room and I dont want a crappy looking case. The koolance and Swiftech both look good and profesionaly done. Thoe each I find has its ups and downs. 1. The Qpower Doesnt have a resivior. The koolance has one where to change the cooling water all you have to do is flip and dump and refill. With the Qpower you gotta open up the case and do the side draining thing (Which isnt bad but I would also like to push watercooling cases towards people who I build pc's for since pc's are just getting louder and hotter and people who I build pc's for want quiet and good preformance and probely wont want to bother removing the side panel to change the fluid.) 2. Both systems seem to have good water pumps, I like koolance's dual pump thing but the qpower's pump (Ehiem 1048) seems to be a little bit better. 3. The koolance case has the temp monitoring thing up top which will auto shutdown your pc if the temp gets too high while qpower does not. 4. The Opower has a little bit better case but lacks modding support. I would like to add a side window to my case with a light. 5. The Qpower seems to be able to cool the CPU and other parts around 5C better than the koolance and the Qpower also seems to be very quite, while I heard the koolance can get a little noisy!... but I also heard koolance can be pretty quiet too!.. im confused about the 2 cases in terms of quietness.. and I need a quiet pc! 6. Both radiators seem to be about the same to me so I cant compare much thier. 7. The koolance CPU waterblock seems to go on much easier than the Qpower's. With the koolance it has a overtightening messure installed so you cant overtighten it... while with swiftechs 4 hole design you can... and im not sure how much I should tighten the qpowers CPu waterblock... can somebody help me out on that one? Well their was my list of things im debating about.... can somebody shed some light on this for me! Ive got an AMD ATHLON Xp 1900+, GeForce 3 Ti 200, 40GB ata 133 Maxtor HD, Gigabyte RV7XP MB. I am planning to cool the CPU, HD, and maybe the GPU and/or MB Chipset. Thanks for all you input so far everyone.. just hope ya all can help clear this one up for me.. Also.. im not like planning on spending like $700 bucks on water cooling so dont go mentioning things too expensive. Thanks! :p

sam, you know that sheet of foam that usually comes with a motherboard? i found that that stuff works great for insulation, and is a little thicker than a pelt, so you could superglue it all on except for the spot for the pelt, then just place the pelt in and mount the waterblock over it! it would work awesome! thats waht i have used for my little "mess around with pelts" projects

maskedgeek said:
sam, you know that sheet of foam that usually comes with a motherboard? i found that that stuff works great for insulation, and is a little thicker than a pelt, so you could superglue it all on except for the spot for the pelt, then just place the pelt in and mount the waterblock over it! it would work awesome! thats waht i have used for my little "mess around with pelts" projects

Interesting, are you talking about the white closed cell packing foam stuff.....never occured to me that that could be used.... :)

Back