• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new bios made my Athlon rig faster!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Here was the before!

10 X 133 - 1.85V - Temps:30c Mobo / 60c CPU MAX (1.33GHz)

Here is the new!

9.0 X 146.31 - 1.75V - Temps:25c Mobo / 50c CPU MAX (1.32GHz)

Oh man, what a difference and my Quake3 Arena gained 5fps more!! I dont believe it! Well well, looks like its a good idea to have the higher FSB after all.

BTW, 146MHz is the highest the FSB can go on the KT7A without loosing the AGP4X support. If I go any higher, I must use AGP2X! :(

Again, I'm so proud that I can once again use 1.75Vcore and still have 100% stability. I seriously think there was a major glitch in my old 7N bios.

DS-Master

Last edited:
Did you flash your BIOS for that, or did you just lower the mult and increase the FSB?

Well, using bios 7N, my motherboard would only allow my athlon to do a maximum FSB of 145MHz, but after flashing the bios and doing the exact same thing, I was able to attain 146MHz giving my Athlon a 292MHz Bus!

My plan now is too wait it out till the Barton arrives, and then slap a barton on, be it a XP2500+ or whatever and then just use the 146FSB. I'll get an overclock while knowing I still got the stability!

BTW, all KT7A owners, that is Bios A9 that I am using now! and yes I know its a beta but I dont care.

EDIT: I dunno if this was a glitch or something but I got my 100% stability back again with 1.75V, I cannot believe it! wohoo!

DS-Master

no kidding high FSB is much better than high MHZ

for me i can do 8.5x200=1700mhz with 2-2-2-2t timings and i get 500points more in 3dmark than if i do 11x154=1784mhz

ya i love high fsb i can amazingly get 190 fsb with my duron :) and 195 with my 2000+ 1900 mhz turbo i have to to go to like 180 fsb tho

Back