• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcafee internet security problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

I'm having a problem with mcafee internet security 4.0 on win2k I have the latest update installed.

When ever go in Internet Secutiry and try to perform a security check on the computer, the program crashes with this error message:

The Instruction at 0x77fcb2b9 referenced memory at 0x6d616620. The memory could not be written

It will sometimes substitute different instruction addresses (0x77fab397) or memory addresses (0x0a0d796c). The error does not always occur during the same place in the security check.

This error does not occur on any other programs I run so I'm thinking its the program and not the memory (though I could be wrong).

I'd rather not uninstall and reinstall since it takes a good bite of time to get the update downloaded (and I have it now).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're gonna have to reinstall.

On a personal note. I'd leave the firewall turned off in Mcafee and get a good program like Zone alarm.

I bought McAfee Internet Security Suite 2004 version 6.0 a few days. I have had good experience with their previous products, but this thing is a dog. The spamkiller hosed up Outlook. Numerous times when I went into the spamkiller to see what had been blocked and what had been allowed to pass, it said the server needed to be restarted. Hmmmm, I am running an ordinary pc, not a server but whatever, I rebooted and that particular problem.....for a little while. It would return shortly after. I had noticed my computer was running slower than normal, which was a nuisance, but then sometimes the response was so incredibly slow I thought it had locked up. It turned out that my cpu utilization was staying at 100%. Let's see, I have a pair of Raptors, 512MB of PC2700 memory from Crucial running synchronous dual channel on Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0 motherboard, a Barton 3000+ processor with a Swiftech MCX462 heatsink/fan, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, and an Antec SL400 power supply. I would hardly think it is because my hardware is not up to par. I visited McAfee's forums to find numerous other users experiencing same problem, McAfee initial denies the problem exists, then finally advises to uninstall Spamkiller, and Privacy Service, and if problem continues, to uninstall Firewall. Hell of a deal if you ask me. Buy a full suite of internet security products for full price only to find that only a couple of features of the product can be used. So I uninstalled everything to do with McAfee and computer was very fast. I then downloaded a 30 Trial version of TrendMicro Internet Security which was just updated today. So far everything on it works the way it is supposed to and my computer is as fast as if I didn't have it installed. I still have the original packaging and receipt for the McAfee, which I purchased at Walmart. Wish me luck in being able to return it for a refund. I purchased it on a credit card, so if they give me a hard time about returning it, I'll get in touch with the credit card company to do a charge back. It is pretty crappy to release a product like this that is not fully functional.

Back