• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So-so overclock with the AGOIA Y 1600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

OK, this chip is basically brand new so heres the history:

First got it, put it in and had insane temps, like 50+C. Wouldn't pass prime at 1640 w/ 1.84 V.

So I took out the vmod and burned it at stock speeds and voltage with prime for 12 hours. This time it did 1640 at stock voltage! Had to bump to 1.8 V to run it at 1680, seems stable. When I went to 1722 it's no good even at my bios' max setting, like 1.825-ish V. This time temps never passed 45, usually at 44 (AS3 settle in I'm guessing).

Now I'm burning again at 1680 w/ 1.8 V. Temps are about 45, but it's a bit warmer than yesterday.

Now, I got a DORB3+, I know it's not the best but my temps aren't that bad.

What I'm wondering is do you think more burn it will help me? It's made it into windows and did prime for like ten minutes at 1850 MHz @ 1.85 V, then tried at 1.9 and the temps went nuts (read above). I'm already planning a cooling upgrade, but like I said my temps aren't THAT bad, do you think this would help and be worth the $37 I'm planning to spend? It's a Dr. Thermal Extreme, ranks alonside the AX-7 on every review I've seen and it's cheaper.

Thanks.

--Illah

If thats an AGOIA Y 0213 it should be doing better than that. A bunch of people have them running around 1800 mhz at 1.8v, you may just have to burn it in more. The heatsink will be worth it if you are planning on going to 1.9v.

Whoah, that burning in helped quite a bit though. Is stock speed/voltage the optimal, or should one use lower speed/higher voltage as suggested in an earlier thread?

I don't know about the earlier thread, but I have heard burning in can help alot. Some dude with an 8500 said his overclock went up from like 290/290 to 305/305 after burning in, and for video that's a good improvement.

The burn in really helped me! At first I failed 1640 w/ 1.85 V then yesterday I passed 1640 at like 1.725 V. I've been burning for 2-3 hours so far at 1680 w/ 1.8 V so we'll see how much it helps.

I'll probably burn it all day and play with OC tomorrow, it's friday and my girl is tired of me nerding all the time.

--Illah

i think its youre temps like i said you prob have a socket senor and youre temps are actually like 55 not 45 belive me a die read gives u around 10 c hoter temp readings

My 2000= Agoia Y lives again !!!! i have to burn it back in cuss it will only do 1870 mhz tomarow ill prob be back up to 1.95 ghz

What motherboard? Burn in does help, over time you may get a little higher than before or be able to run the speeds your at now at a lower voltage. Sorry to burst your bubble the Dorb 3 isn't good at all, in other words, Orbs are for looks and heatsinks are for performance. Burn it in w/ Prime95 if you aren't. If your using Arctic Silver it should help settle it better if you run up your temps. If you applied it good you'll notice no temp change, if it was bad you will see a dramatic change. I only saw a 1 degree change but now it's overclocked so I can't compare anything. I'm currently at 1680 w/ default voltage, specs in sig. That's as far as I go. Unless I am forced to buy a new power supply because something is draining too much power then I will, but for another 100-150mhz (Don't even know if that'll happen), then it isn't worth it.

G'Luck.

This burn in is working wonders! I just upped it to 1722 after like 3.5 hours of 1680 burn, same 1.8 V, and it's working! I'm stopping it till the sun goes down though, from about 3:30 to 8:00pm my apartment gets blasted by the afternoon sun, my ambients just rose five degrees C over the past hour, and it gets worse later... It's like a greenhouse effect in here. At about 8-9 I'll start up again and run it till I go to bed and see what happens.

--Illah

Illah said:
This burn in is working wonders! I just upped it to 1722 after like 3.5 hours of 1680 burn, same 1.8 V, and it's working! I'm stopping it till the sun goes down though, from about 3:30 to 8:00pm my apartment gets blasted by the afternoon sun, my ambients just rose five degrees C over the past hour, and it gets worse later... It's like a greenhouse effect in here. At about 8-9 I'll start up again and run it till I go to bed and see what happens.

--Illah

Pick a speed that is more comfortable and stable through the day, switching back and fourth everyday is very frustrating. Been there, done that, motherboard ended up being dead.

I'm not switching back and forth. The first day I went for 1.8+, then went down a few steps, got ****ed off and burned at stock. I've been going up ever since. 1722 @ 1.8V now since my last post, ambients went down so I'm at 44-45 again. This burn in is some cool stuff.

It's like when you get a new car they say don't take it over 55 MPH till you hit 300 miles to break in the engine, I think burning at stock sorta did that. It's OCing better and better the more I run prime.

--Illah

Illah said:
I'm not switching back and forth. The first day I went for 1.8+, then went down a few steps, got ****ed off and burned at stock. I've been going up ever since. 1722 @ 1.8V now since my last post, ambients went down so I'm at 44-45 again. This burn in is some cool stuff.

It's like when you get a new car they say don't take it over 55 MPH till you hit 300 miles to break in the engine, I think burning at stock sorta did that. It's OCing better and better the more I run prime.

--Illah

It's like breaking in shoes when you get first them. My K-Swiss's felt like hard as a rock then now it's so comfortable ;)

Great job burning-in Illah. At first my xp required 1.95v at 1.91 GHz but after running Prime 95 and Folding@home all I needed was 1.9v. All of this just shows that burning-in really does make a difference.

I'm hoping to get to 1850. It ran prime for like 10 or 11, umm, questions? at that speed w/ 1.85. Anyways, it ran it for a while THEN crashed, that tells me it's possible if I had better cooling or if I pumped up the voltage. I'll keep messing with it.

--Illah

why not burn at 1.85?

my agoia Y wont go above 1765 Stable (9.5x185.5) its 0213

from what i heard the best agoia y's are 0210 ... i have seen prolly 10 people with that stepping get 2ghz

Whered you get those four digits from? I wrote down everything on the chip I could check.

--Illah

I got 0213 also. Oh well, we'll see how I do, I've been letting it burn at 1722 for a long time now, I'll probably let it go all night and mess with the OC some more tomorrow.

--Illah

Now burning at 1743, still same voltage :)

I've heard it takes a weeks burning to get to the max of what it can do so we'll see how we go! Plus I could always reinstall my vmod one day...

--Illah

Illah said:
Now burning at 1743, still same voltage :)

I've heard it takes a weeks burning to get to the max of what it can do so we'll see how we go! Plus I could always reinstall my vmod one day...

--Illah

There's no end to a burn in ;) That's why I use SETI, another possibility is Folding.

Back