• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new everything....and nothing works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paulster

Registered
I just got my bro's brand new epox 8k3a motherboard with the athlon xp 2000+ and a new vid card, ram, and hard drive and all that. So i hooked it all up, put on the heatsink, made sure i didn't forget anything, and i turned it on.....and it sounds like everything is working, like the fan turns on, and the motherboard's light turns on and it seems like everything should work fine, and then nothing shows up on the monitor......

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Epox MoBos seem to be really sensitive to how well you have the RAM installed. Take it out and make sure you hear two distinct clicks when you seat the RAM.

well i tried both and nothing happened...any other ideas would help a lot

Hmmm usually between those two things, one of em does the trick.

Maybe try resetting CMOS, see if that does anything.

Another thing... how many sticks of ram are you using?... if more than one, it's possible one could be bad. Try just one at a time.

If that doesn't work, try turning it off, unplugging the power cord and leaving the thing off for 10 minutes or so... stupid as it may sound it's done the trick for me before.

Good luck... I hate it when stuff like this happens.

yea, i dont have it running yet, im waiting to get my other motherboard/cpu back from the company because this same thing happened last time, then ill try swapping parts and try to find out what's bad

You should still hear some beeps if something is wrong with the board or cpu. Have you looked to see what code it gives when it boots up and hangs?

it doesn't boot up at all, nothing at all happens when i turn it on...but if the cpu doesn't work at all, wouldn't that cause the beeping to not work?

Are you getting power to the mouse and keyboard? Reason, I built a new system for a friend and the new Antec 430 watt P/S would send power to everything, but the mouse and keyboard, but the computer would not boot. I changed out the P/S and now the computer runs just fine. Check out your P/S.

Last edited:
yea i tried two power supplies, they're both brand new and they are both antec smartpower 400W

it could be bad CPU or defect board. I would test the CPU first that has happened to me and it was a brand new defective CPU.

yea i just returned it all and im getting new of everything...AGAIN and a different HS and cpu from newegg so i should be in good shape

This same thing happened to me with my Abit board. It was my first time putting a rig together and I screwed the mobo on the case incorrectly. Make sure that only the screws from the mobo are touching the case so nothing gets shorted.

Also make sure that your ram is NON-ECC. Some motherboards won't boot with it. Another thing to try is to see if your CPU is not seated correctly. Sometimes those little lever arms don't seat it right. Apply some pressure with one finger to the CPU when you snap the arm down. Make sure it's seated properly. Also, make sure to test the system in bare bones config. For example, take it out of the case, power supply, cpu, ram, mobo, and vid card. Set them up on an anti-static bag(like the one your mobo came in) install the aforementioned. and use a jumper to start the board up. To do this, all you have to do is figure out which pins go to the power button, and stick the jumper on there, and pull it off real fast. This should start up the board, if it does not, then it's the board, ram or CPU. More than likely the board though. GL, let me know how the new machine turns out. Just don't give up man, I could barely afford the board in my rig when I started, and I killed the first mobo with a static discharge. Just don't let your excitement make you careless. I had to wait 6 months before I could afford replacement parts, cuz my warranty was crap. GL!

well i got new everything again and my excitement definately took over, please look at my other post about the screw holes and see if you have any advice

Back