• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the max gph I should get for my pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quantumburnz

I'm gonna have 1/2" tubing, but what is the max gph I should have for my pump? Is it ok if I get like a 600 or is that too much? I don't want to be leakin anywhere. That'd be very bad. So what's the max I should be pushing?

If your only cooling your CPU than around 200 is fine. If you plan to cool the northbridge and vid card than I would step up to a 300 or so, but 600 would be overkill. The Via aqua is a real good pump and puts out 370 GPH, and it's dirt cheap.

I'm only going to be cooling my CPU for right now, would I be ok to get like a 370, somewhere around there and use that just for my cpu, then hookup my vc cooler and stuff later? Or will so much presure cause my connections to leak?

it depends on the block, and if your gonna use 1/2 fittings or 5/8 fittings for that 1/2 hose,

if you have one of those swiftech blocks, i bet you could pump some mad flow thru them, but you would need larger fittings... that would be pretty cool

well if you want to use 5/8barbs with it you would need to mod your own... but otherwize you mite as well not get such a big pump

Would it hurt anything if I got that big a pump? It's only like $16. and what are barbs? Are those the fittings that go around the tubing?

were you getting it for that much???? i need a large gph pump soon

it wont hirt much at all to have a large gph pump unless it puts massive heat into your water, wich i doubt..

Larger pumps will add a lot of heat to your water. I would stay in the 200-350 gph range (the 370 would be fine.) Otherwise you will be adding a lot of heat for minimal cooling benefit.

When you are looking at different pumps, there are a few variables to consider:

1) Inline or submersible. Any motor capable of moving a lot of water will have a fair amount of electrical resistance in the coils. This resistance means that some portion of the total wattage that the pump draws becomes wasted heat. With a submersible pump, all of this heat ends up in the water eventually. With an inline pump, some of the heat is transferred (by conduction) to the air in your room.

2) The total design of your system will also add some heat to your water. If you put the intake of your pump into a bucket and measure the time it takes just the pump to fill another bucket, you will see a flowrate that is very close to what your pump is rated at.

Now connect the whole rest of your system and try filling the bucket that way. Friction in your system will cause quite a signifigant drop in the rate at which water comes out the other end. The decrease in the velocity of the water is accompanied by an increase in the temperature.

Back