• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7 and W98 (and prior)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Citation4444

Registered
Just a little warning for you guys with W98 (or earlier). The IT7 board is
not supported under W98. I found out when I was installing it on my dual
boot W98/WXP system. When you try to install the drivers from the CD, it
tells you the IT7 is not supported under 98 and the drivers won't install.
Also, note that the drivers on the Abit site specifically say Win
ME/2000/XP. The manual is totally silent on this issue. So is the Abit
site for the IT7 board. Don't know why they don't point this out. It's
probably got something to do with the usb 2.0 ports, but I'm not sure.
It was not a problem for me as I updated 98 to ME and all the drivers
installed fine.
For those of you running 98, this board is probably not for you.

Sorry to hear that, some people have decided that unless it becomes majorly obsolete they will stick with 98se...I will not upgrade this game comp here...(the one in my sig) it uses 98se, and it's totaly stable..I mean it's overclocked to the max and it runs 24/7 without a need to reboot even occasionaly, unless I load a new vid card driver...even new technology coming out seems to have no trouble in 98se, like adding a usb2.0 card.
If it is X86 based, then it should be able to be run 98...is the new P4 not backward compatible with X86 software?
This don't make any sense.

If I remember rightly, if you go into the individual driver files on the cd supplied with the IT7, you'll find that most of the Win 98 drivers are actually there. Whether they'll work o.k. or not, I don't know, as I put in Win2kpro when it gave me that cd warning after checking out the cd on my other Win 98 pc.
In theory, the only thing that you should have trouble with under Win 98 will be the usb 2, but like I said, I haven't actually tried it to see what works.
S.

I had the IT7 booted up on W98SE. I got the message when I tried to install the drivers off the CD. Since I had ME sitting around I just upgraded to ME. I only use 98 or ME as a backup to run a couple of my very old programs, so it was not big deal to me.
This is off the Microsoft site
Microsoft will not provide USB 2.0 support for the Windows 9x platform or Windows NT® 4.0.
The quote is from this page http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/BUS/USB/USB2support.asp
I think Abit is just saying the board is not fully supported under W9x. I suppose you could add a PCI card for usb 2 ports, but what would be the point in buying this MB then?

Phunny, I bought a usb2.0 card for an existing 98se setup, and it works fine, and it is connected to a maxtor 80g drive in an external housing, and the drive can be acsesed, formated, etc.
Too bad for M.$. I don't want the NT based os's...no backward compatibility even for recent things.

Back