• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just built 1st pc and monitor wont work! need desperate help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

Hey,

I have just built pc, for the first time with these specs:

MSI KT3 Ultra
Athlon xp 2100+
256DDR Ram
60GB Seagate HDD 7200

i also have in there a pc tuner card, an additional, failry old 20gb hdd, floppy, a cd-wr drive.

I ran it for the first time the other day and i saw the POST screen and the hardware staring to be read, however the monitor soon switched off! and now the monitor wont work, even though the power is definetly on! - the orange liught now just comes on.

What should i do

I am running a RIVA TNT graphics chip, but if i managed to see the POST screen the first time then surely the card must be alright!?

Please help, im really getting frsutrated!

Thanks for your time.

Jonny

It could still be the graphics card. It might have had enough life to post that one time and then crap out on you. Have you hooked up the d-led lights and if so what is the light combination. This board somtimes does that the first time you fire it up. Give us the light combo and that might shed some more light on what it could possible be. If it is not the graphics card i would consider upgrading soon anyway. The tnt is a older card. For less than a hundred bucks you could get a radeon 8500!:D

ok,

with the lights - all 4 are on!?

please help,

thanks!

jonny

Does that mean that all 4 are green. If all are green than the computer does not think it is sick.:D IF all are green than the monitor sound like it is the culprit. If all are red, than that means that the proccesor is damaged. Let me know the color.

red!

could it be not installed properly or damaged! and how could it be damaged!!!???

ive got a volcano 7+ sitting on it.

I also posted a reply in the vid card section to your same question. But here it is, reset the cmos. If that does not work than it is a safe bet the the proccesor is damaged. To reset the cmos,

1-Make sure that you shut off the pc.

2-pull the battery out of the mother board

3-move the jumper to clear the cmos, it is to the right of the via chip right next to the system fan1 header.

4-let sit for about 5 minutes or so to make sure it cleared

Here is a question, did you plug the cpu fan in before you turned it on. To start the cpu back up do this

1-move the jumper back to its orignal postion

2-replace the battery

3-turn on and cross your fingers:D

Why dont you pull out everything thats unnecesary. Floppy,HDD, and just try to run the comp. This way you narrow down the possibility of faulty parts.

Back