• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it really have to be an Eheim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WinFlex

Take a good look at this site:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4587
After seeing that there are much more diverse pumps than the Eheim ones (such as the Hydrothruster with adjustible speed and automatic back preassure adjustment), I am unsure wether my next pump will be an Eheim. Has anyone experimented with some of these non-Eheim pumps? Are they as reliable... post your thoughts here :)... tnx, Felix

Also, how about noise levels?

answer: no, it doesnt have to be eheim.

I myself use a ViaAqua 1300 pump. 370gph magnetic drive pump. virtually totally silent. I can only hear it if it's within 2 feet of my head. its submersible, so it makes filling and bleeding pretty easy. i'd use it again any day

Again no. People just prefer Eheim because of their quality. Although people just pay the extra dollar to make sure the pump doesn't fail and destroy everything. Although alot of people I see these days use the Via 1300, back in the watercooling days I was looking into the Maxi Jet 1200.. Danner looks to be good, and SSS posted a picture of a Dolphine pump which looked huge and good, although I never seen real results to conclude anything.

I have both an ViaAqua 1300 and a Danner 250gph model 2.

As far as durability goes, the Danner is beginning it's third year of faithull service in my fourth version of watercooling. I think that says loads. I have addressed the pump's two weaknesses though: it cracks at the barb screwin opening--a hose clamp fixes/reinforces that...it also may leak around the o ring on the pump head--silicone sealant to 'grease' the o ring.
Small problems for a pump that's very very quiet and durable as this is.

The jury is still out on the ViaAqua though, because it's only in it's second month of service (though it's doing what it's supposed to). I'll let you know in two years :D

One more thing...Pricewise, I bought both pumps for less than an Eheim costs, with some leftover.

Back