• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chassis Temp (MSI KT3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ice Cool

Registered
Please someone help -this is driving me nuts !!

I have an XP1900 which is running 42 C idle, 45 c in Windows and 48 C gaming - OK so far....

But the Chassis Temp, as reported by PC Alert III and MBM is 39 C - I have a MSI KT-3 Ultra.

Can someone please let me know whether I have a case cooling problem or if the chassis temp sensor is in a hot spot in the case - I dont think that if the Chassis was 39 C I would get the CPU under 50 C idle.

Meant to say, thanks for making me feel so welcome here - I am new to all this overclocking, but getting hooked!

Cheers in advance

I"m gettin hooked on this too! I have the same mobo...

One way to tell if your case cooling is adequate is to record the "chassis" temp (and cpu temp for that matter...), then remove the sidepanel from your case, do your thing for about 15 minutes, then check the temps again. If they only fall a degree or two, then you're case cooling is good. If it drops dramatically, then you need some improvement!

Cheers for the reply - will try

A quick 10 laps of Silverstone in Grand Prix 4 with the cover off and will try again !!!

BTW, what temps are you getting CPU and Chassis, and what is your spec - I am running an XP1900+ with GF4 Ti4200 128mb and a Coolermaster (cheap?) heatsink, 2 fans intake, 1 out with PSU fan and slot cooler for GFX card.

Laters...

I have an xp1600 with a ti4200 (both OCed slightly, i think my cpu is at 137fsb and the vid card is up to like 275/550) I have a cheapo HSF too (going water soon) in a Lian Li PC60 case with the rear fans replaced with slower, quieter Panaflos. My temps are pretty high (like 49 cpu/40ish chassis)...they went up a lot after i switched those fans out, but its like 1/4 as loud now. I can sacrifice the temps for a week or two in exchange for a much quieter rig!!

Just completed race!! (with case off)

Chassis 42C - down from 43C (With case on)
CPU 47C - down from 50 C (with case off)

slight improvement...

I am still unsure as to why the chassis temp is reported so high on the KT3 Ultra - the air temp is around 25 C at present (at 10.30 pm - we are enjoying a mini heatwave at the moment!), but even so the chassis temp shouldnt be that high - should it. BTW inside the case is not particulalry hot - does anyone know of an issue with the KT3 chassis sensor?

Garasaki - how are you finding the Ti4200? I upgraded this week from a Kyro 2(!) and OMG the performance difference is AMAZING!

BTW, back in Windows - case now 40c CPU 44c - perhaps cooling not so good then !!

Did you win the race? :p
Your case temps are a little high. You should go to the main overclockers mainpage and read some articles on case cooling (I did). Good luck!

OK, I got an MSI KT266a board but I doubt much has changed here. Right now my 'case' or chassis temp is reported at 33C. That's nearly 92F. Does the same thing with the case door on or off. Is it 92 degrees in my apartment? Hell no!

The case temp sensor on the MSI boards seems to always report high. I've aimed table fans in there in winter and the lowest I ever saw was 27 C, but that's with me with the windows wide open in March (which is cold in SF). 27C is 80F! Hahaha, yeah right I was in a fat *** sweater and a hat when I saw that temp!

Point is, don't listen to that temp sensor, those aren't your temps. It's only useful for knowing if your temps are higher or lower than the average, but it's not accurate at all.

--Illah

Thanks for the advice llah, and no , I did not win the race (although starting from the back in a Minardi to finish 10th in 5 laps is not too bad ;) ) -BTW GP4 absolutely rocks, and the AI is superb.

I've never played GP4, I might have to try it...I like racin games!!

Yeah, I love this GF4...I upgraded from a PII with a GF2 MX before...it now really feels like I'm playing a game instead of watching someone else play it. So much more responsive!!

I have the kt3 ultra as well. As far as i know the there have not been any problems with the temp sensors on that board. I was running 37 case temp and thought that was high. My wife fianally gave in and let me add a blow hole up top. With all the hot air being sucked out of the top my temp dropped to 29. I also added an intake to the front. Try a little better case flow design. And remember "its not how much air you move, its how you use it":D

Back