• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best value processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hobobum1218

Registered
I'm planning to build a new computer soon!... need some help again... for about $150, which is the best processor I should get (for overclocking)... prefer P4z but don't know which one!

1.6A P4 is.....
If you can still get your hands on one, its the best.

hobobum1218 said:
I'm planning to build a new computer soon!... need some help again... for about $150, which is the best processor I should get (for overclocking)... prefer P4z but don't know which one!

i love my 1.8a (look at my frugal flyer rig in signature)...

i have a nice 1.1 ghz overclock going!:D

Bigsexy said:
Oh and if you want it to know for some reasons: I think the one P4 1.7 you have seen (the more expensive one) is for notebooks - the 478 is the normal one! All ordinary (=for desktop pcs) P4 have Sockel 478!!

Nope. The first one is the old P4 socket, socket 423. The socket 478 is for the newer P4's. All Northwoods come in Socket 478, but Willies come in either 478 or 423. Also, I don't believe they make a notebook processor at 1.7GHz, but it is very possible I could be wrong as I don't keep up with notebook processors as much. Just make sure you get the "1.6A" with 512k L2 cache and you'll be set.

jazztrumpet216 said:

Just make sure you get the "1.6A" with 512k L2 cache and you'll be set.

...the A stands for Northwood. The Northwood chips have double the L2 cache of the original Willamette P4 and preform much better.

Ok Ok... so 1.8a is the best for OC'ing... new question : which motherboard is the best for it?... I'm talking about around 150 (or less :rolleyes: ) and i'm planning to get a decend geforce4 (about $150 too)... thx guyz

hobobum1218 said:
I'm a total newbie to OC'ing... so help once again... can someone tell me what does HSP stands for?... i think i 'spelled' it right :eek:

HSP = Heatsink and Pan

Back