• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator assistance idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

hey guys, i dont know if this has at all been discussed here before, but I was wondering if anyone thought of utilizing the thermal properties of water just a bit more....

theoretically (i know this wouldnt be easy to setup) but what if you sprayed just a tiny film of water over your radiator every little while to help dissipate heat through evaporative cooling in addition to the normal conduction. like, put a little mist through your radiator once in a while and allow the evaporation to move more heat? would this be at all of help to the radiator?

I'm of course only proposing to do this on an external radiator setup with a small drip can to catch any excess... what do you guys think?

It has been discussed. do a forum search for swamp cooler and/or bong cooler. Both utilize evaporation to lower water temps, but be prepared to fill it up every once in a while.

My $0.02 would be to ditch the dripping radiator and go with a swamp cooler. You would have water travel through a semi absorbant material (like felt) on a sloped survaface and empty into your resivour. It would be fed by a pump, the more flow, the larger the sloped surface would be. This would all be inside a box and you would have fans blowing over the wet surface, and as the water evaporates it becomes cooler, cooling down your res.

no that is not what a bong is, he is talking about wetting the radiator somehow and letting evaporation make it cold...

swamp coolers are way too difficult to do... unless your talking about the large fishtank thing or whatever...

a bong cooler would probabally be easier, and it requires less surface area. The basics of a bong would be to spray water down through a large tube from a shower head, with a fan coming in from a Y at the bottom blowing humid air out the top. As the water droplets pass through the air, some molecules evaporate cooling the remaining water. I was saying that bong and swamp coolers are both the most discussed ones in these forums. Sorry for any confusion.

Back