• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick 486 Question!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Ok, my 486 downstairs, I'm trying to rebuild the thing for a signal ripper for tv, not gonna say what for but..

anywayz, I need a crap computer on 24/7 so I thought I'd rebuild the 486.

My question is simple,

Do I need a Heatsink for a 486 CPU?

thx in advance

Well, my Packard Bell 486 OC'd to 100 is running without a heatsink, so my guess is that if you NEED a HSF, the answer is no. Might not be such a bad idea to have one though if it's gonna be on 24/7 under load.

I would suggest having one on it, considering that you will have it on 24/7. (I know exactly what you are using it for). LOL, anyways if you dont have one go to www.computergeeks.com and they have some for that cpu for 1.50 with a small fan on it.

DS_Master,

If it is a SX or DX 486 up to 25 or 33 Mhz, it generlly does NOT need a HSF, although if you have a heatsink you can add some passive cooling to let it run cooler.

For DX2, DX3, DX4 chips, and DX-50Mhz (i.e anything above 33 Mhz), active cooling is desirable. Makes a big difference.

In any case, note that with ceramic 486's, the operating temp scale is a lot higher than what we are used to nowadays... i.e they can run OK pretty hot.

Regards
FTC

thanks for the responses,

It is infact a 486 DX-2 66MHz and I cant seem to find a heatsink or even find anyway to even mount a heatsink on even if there was a heatsink for the cpu.

I will try it without the heatsink and cross my fingers.

DS-Master

Some of those 486 heatsinks just snapped onto the edges of the chip and other times you just epoxied them on. I'm at work right now so I'll forget by the time I get home, but if you want, send me a PM to remind me and I'll check to see if I have an extra one in my junk box.

I was in a Radio Shack the other day that had two 486 HSF's on the shelf. You'd probably have to pay more than they are worth there though.

I was given an old Dell 486DX -33 last week that came with a heat sink, so I would guess it was needed for that CPU, can't hurt to put one on your CPU

DEFINITELY put a heatsink on it... IIRC 386 were the last chips that would run stable without a HSF. A 486-100 puts out more heat than a pentium 100, they get really hot... Just find/make any old heatsink and glue it on with a thin layer of epoxy resin, you won't need a fan tho.

Back