• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
I have a copy of Ghost that came on my Epox driver disk. I cant get it to work now that I have loaded WinXP. Does any know if this version is supported by XP and if not is there a update for it.

Mods if you feel this should be in the Epox section. Sorry about that.

Version 7 is supposed to support XP fully, but some of the earlier versions work partially. We use 6 on a server to image preloads that have not done the final install or converted to NTFS. This works well for a post production environment, but would wreak havoc for a normal user wanting to backup data. I've heard that Drive Image 2002 does a better job with XP than Ghost. From Symantec's site, it doesn't look like they are allowing upgrades from non-retail/corporate products.

If the partitions are FAT32, you coud try to image and restore to a different disk, then FDISK /MBR. It may work for you, but we didn't have any luck with it. If it's NTFS, you'll definitely need either Ghost 7 or Drive Image 2002.

Raising a old thread here but, I bought a copy of ghost 2002 and I'm having trouble making a boot disk. I formatted a floppy and copied the sys files as instructed in manual and ghost would not find ms-dos file needed. I went to the symantec site and read use a win98start disk. I did that and the bootdisk was written by ghost, that boot disk wont work. It hangs at Verifing dmi pool......... Any suggestion would be appreceiated. I have tried 3 times and the same result.

Tried the boot disk wizard as instucted in the manual and I cant get it work with ms-dos files as mentioned above. It does work with a pc-dos boot disk. I'm pretty sure win xp is a non dos OS. Is that correct? Anyway it says its designed for winxp and i would like to get it to work. Any other thoughts

You do not need ms-dos. Just use the pc-dos provided. You will find that this is almost identical to msdos. It comes with gdisk, a better version of fdisk.

Thanks Lazerin. I will figure it out though I am having some trouble. From what I see I need to make 2 disks to copy image to cd-r. First one to boot into pc-dos and the second to access the cd-r drivers. Is that the correct way? The manual is a little (HA) confusing and I'm not sure which boot disk is which. Or do I have it completely wrong cuz it hasent worked yet. I'm not sure if my cd-r is compatable. I have a Acer 16/10/40 and it is not on the list though I thought acer was a renamed aopen which is on the list.

Choose the First bootdisk option in bootdisk wizard. Use this one to boot up to ghost. Create a second disk with the third option (CD). Insert this one in when Ghost asks whether you want to copy bootable files to the cd.

This site has a list of all support cdrs. Of course, with new burners appearing everyday, it is not always up to date. Just use it as a rough guide.

Back