• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confusing temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobInside

what temps are normal for you guys with aircooling / performance HSF. from the Winbond 2 diode im getting around 51c idle, and it can get into the 60's at full load for awhile. but if i look at the Winbond 2 2N3904(i guess its the thermistor), it says like 29-30c at idle when the diode says 52c. i just wanna know how much room i have to OC temp wise...I have 2 fans stacked onto my HSF for a combined 82cfm, and the noise stays low. im also running at 1.753ghz @ 1.85-1.8 vcore. how high do you think i can up the vcore without damaging anything seriously?

NoobInside said:
what temps are normal for you guys with aircooling / performance HSF. from the Winbond 2 diode im getting around 51c idle, and it can get into the 60's at full load for awhile. but if i look at the Winbond 2 2N3904(i guess its the thermistor), it says like 29-30c at idle when the diode says 52c. i just wanna know how much room i have to OC temp wise...I have 2 fans stacked onto my HSF for a combined 82cfm, and the noise stays low. im also running at 1.753ghz @ 1.85-1.8 vcore. how high do you think i can up the vcore without damaging anything seriously?
A couple of things here, I use an AX-7 on one rig with a 1600 at 1.85GIG, 1.9V and have a Mobo temp of 30 and I load at 49C. Your temps are high, use the Winbond 2 Diode, that is your correct temp. Stacking fans is bad, worse that using 1 fan, they work against each other, that is one big problem. Also, what fans are you running on the MCX462? That particular HSF needs the 68CFM Delta to perform like it should, put ANYTHING less on there and your temps will suffer like they are doing now. You should idle around 38-40C or so with the MCX462 and the Delta fan.

how can the fans work against each other if they are both blowing in the same direction?

NoobInside said:
how can the fans work against each other if they are both blowing in the same direction?
They just do, the pressure created by the 2 fans is counterproductive. What fans are you using?

NoobInside said:

It's true, it doesnt work. If you have one fan that pushes 42cfm thru, then 41cfm will move through to the space in between the two fans, then the other fan will push taht 41cfm through so you will result with 41cfm anyway. This is if there is no turbulence, which there certainly is when you stack fans. So stacking fans is a no no. I also thought it was a good idea at first till I saw the light :D

A lot of experimentation has been done on the subject of Fan Stacking. Most have come up with the conclusion that it is at best equal to one fan, and usually not as good as 1 fan.

I have seen a couple of reports that found a slight improvement with fan stacking:

one with the exact same fans and one of them on a rheostat to adjust speed. A good deal louder than 1 fan, not much temp diff.

The other used a tunnel with fans at either end, and vanes to straighten airflow inside the tunnel. I believe this one did trim the temps a bit, but perhaps not enough to warrant the effort for most of us.

Just placing one fan on top of another has never been shown to do anything but cause temps to rise, unfortunately.
I did have a hsf that I used two fans next to each other on: worked ok, but noisier than a good hsf.

Back