• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whos computer clock throttles? at 2.5gighertz and higher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What??? That's what keeps people without proper cooling from burning up their CPU. Do NOT disable it. Get better cooling so that it's not an issue. Sheesh.

I've tested this on an Abit TH7-II. I ran Prime95, a temp measurement utility, and WCPUID's real-time clock checker. The highest CPU temp I reached was 64 C, and it did not throttle. I think the temp measurement is right because the heatsink got VERY hot to the touch.

I've tested this on an Abit TH7-II. I ran Prime95, a temp measurement utility, and WCPUID's real-time clock checker.

You won't see a drop in speed in WCPUID's checker when it throttles, the only way you can detect it happening is benchmark the machine while it's stable, overheat it and benchmark it again, you should see a drop in your benchmark scores.

The P4's start throttling approximately when the temperature reaches Tcase. For most P4 Northwoods that's ~70C. You shouldn't see throttling at 64C, but if your voltage is pretty high you might confuse the built-in thermal sensor enough to make it start throttling the chip.

The throttling is independent of BIOS, drivers etc which is as it should be. It’s really there to save your *** and in my opinion is tres chic.
Imagine you have 3 options when you’re CPU is about to die on you:

a) The CPU notices it’s reached a critical temperature and then shuts down the system. Result – you lose data but no hardware damage. i.e. Tualatin, Coppermine and others.
b) The CPU is too busy being king of the hill to notice that it’s hit critical temperature and dies and maybe kills your motherboard to. Result – you lose data and your temper and a whole lot of folding stuff. i.e. no names mentioned. You know who you are, get it sorted.
c) The CPU notices that it’s feeling a bit flushed, consults its on board physician and decides to put its feet up for a while until it feels better. Result – your system has a temporary glitch in performance, doesn’t crash, you lose no data and it returns to normal health provided the overheating problem was only temporary. Otherwise it’ll keep running at a reduced performance. i.e Pentium 4

:) Crow

Back