• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will smaller cache become more dominant in the future:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trend

As we all know the more cache a cpu has, the slower the access it will be to it... If we keep getting faster and faster cpu speeds, wouldn't it just make sence that sometime in the future larger caches would be a big botttle neck in computer performance?

Makes sence to me, but you would have to have a freaken fast cpu to want a smaller cache...a

and why does servers have the biggest cache? because it will be slower i thought..

More cache = longer access times? Where'd you get that from? Any given cache design will have a fixed latency. Adding more cache, while increasing the complexity of the circuit, shouldn't change that latency. Of course it's possible to have a really lousy cache, but modern on-die, synchonous caches are pretty good.

The whole point of having more cache is to reduce the number of times you have to access main memory. So adding more RAM to you system can cause access times to increase due to cache misses (and depending largely on the program).

If anything the trend is towards _bigger_ caches. I won't be the least bit surprised to see two, three, even four meg caches on desktop CPUs in the next five years.

Servers will have even more. Servers have larger caches than desktop since, a) they usually have more memory, and b) the chances of accessing the same data twice in quick succession are greater on a server.

Back