• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dummy's guide to overclockin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hacktic

Registered
the sticky up there is all tech trash.....i wanna o/c my 1.8A 256 DDR ram. cant be that simple as going to BIOs and changing the vcore and FSB? right? pls assist:D

yes it can be that simple.

you may need to get better cooling. the intel hsf does a pretty good job, but if you're going for a super high overclcok, it can only work so well.

looktall_OCAU said:

you may need to get better cooling. the intel hsf does a pretty good job, but if you're going for a super high overclcok, it can only work so well.

I agree, it is very simple to OC your 1.8a.

try going 133fsb with no extra voltages first.

then try to up the voltage only if things start to crash.

watch your temps.;)

mica

looktall_OCAU said:

how bout air cooled? should i still tune up? what FSB V should i set? trial and error?

micamica1217 said:

I agree, it is very simple to OC your 1.8a.

try going 133fsb with no extra voltages first.

then try to up the voltage only if things start to crash.

watch your temps.;)

mica
what temp is it considered too HOT? 50? 60?

hacktic said:
the sticky up there is all tech trash.....i wanna o/c my 1.8A 256 DDR ram. cant be that simple as going to BIOs and changing the vcore and FSB? right? pls assist:D
well for alittle boost its that simple. when u want to like get 50% OC of ur chip then u will need more skillz... are u looking for a simple guide to OCing? without the tech talk?

He will not get to 133fsb without more volts. And with the stock HSF, it will run to hot.

Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

NO1 said:

well for alittle boost its that simple. when u want to like get 50% OC of ur chip then u will need more skillz... are u looking for a simple guide to OCing? without the tech talk?
yes precisely...just a little itchy o/c tweak:D what else is there to toggle besides the FSB and Voltage? the RAM? i set it auto?

Re: Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

hacktic said:
yes precisely...just a little itchy o/c tweak:D what else is there to toggle besides the FSB and Voltage? the RAM? i set it auto?
Y dont u tell us what u got for a mobo? U should be able to do 133fsb pretty easy without to much more voltage. it should even work with ur stock hsf maybe. U may need a better hsf. if I were u, id get a ax478 hsf.

Re: Re: Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

NO1 said:

Y dont u tell us what u got for a mobo? U should be able to do 133fsb pretty easy without to much more voltage. it should even work with ur stock hsf maybe. U may need a better hsf. if I were u, id get a ax478 hsf.
oh no...its goin into tech talk...anyway --> GigaByte GA-8IGX(i845G) supp. 533MHz.
ram: PC2100 256mb

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

hacktic said:
oh no...its goin into tech talk...anyway --> GigaByte GA-8IGX(i845G) supp. 533MHz.
ram: PC2100 256mb
im not familiar with that board. But when OCing northies the 4 main things will be
1 FSB
2 voltage
3 ram speed
4 agp/pci speed.
if u can lock the agp/pci speed so it doesnt go up, if it does im sure u wont get anywhere. mine is locked at 66mhz
if u can set ram speeds, turn it to lowest possible. or lock it (auto)
this way it wont max before ur chip
now just up the FSB alittle at a time, maybe 2-5mhz untill u hit unstability. then give it .025 more at a time, to increase stability.
watch CPU temps. for default speed, up to 140f is fine. any more then i start to see reboots. Its suppose to throttle down, but for me it just reboots. When OCing 120f and under is ideal, but if it goes up to 135f, im sure u will be fine. 140f, and im sure u will run into trouble.
once u have maxed or obtained a desirable speed, u can up the ram timing. That will give u an idea, if the ram or the cpu is the holding u back. GL:D

Last edited:
i cant go anywhere furthur than FSB 12* is there something wrong?

hacktic said:

it ain't brain surgery.:beer:

what board are you running? i'm assuming a bd7ii?

go to it and report back with some benchies. 155-165 mhz would be very kewl dude!

Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

Rasputin'sLiver said:

it ain't brain surgery.:beer:

go to it and report back with some benchies. 155-165 mhz would be very kewl dude!
i cant even get across the 120 barrier...talk about 16*

Rasputin'sLiver said:

check your ram settings - these should get you going:

low
1:1
2.5, 3, 6, 3, 3

hmmm i set my RAM to auto...anyway, just a little itchy o/c tweak not some hardcorer now i'm @ FSB 120 running at 2.2

Re: Re: Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

Rasputin'sLiver said:

what board do you have?
GigaByte GA-8IGX(i845G) supp. 533MHz?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dummy's guide to overclockin

hacktic said:

GigaByte GA-8IGX(i845G) supp. 533MHz?

oh, okay. i'm not sure what that "16*" means. what is that? the g chipset does support 533. what is your ram again?

16* = 160,.....165,166,167.......my RAM is crucial PC2100 256mb x1

Back