• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cross over cable doesn't work with router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

i have 3 computers linked to a cable modem and router. two computers are link using cat5 cables (not cross over) to the router to access the internet. then i tried using a cat5 "cross over" cable from the 3rd computer to the router but it doesn't seem to work. why is that?

cross over cables are only needed for computer to computer transfers. they have wires that are "crossed". A router will assumes you have a normal cable and processes information and sends it out accordingly. That's whats nice about routers hubs and switches, they don't need crossovers.

ATC9001 said:
cross over cables are only needed for computer to computer transfers. they have wires that are "crossed". A router will assumes you have a normal cable and processes information and sends it out accordingly. That's whats nice about routers hubs and switches, they don't need crossovers.

Actually that's only half true.

Crossover cables cables are needed to connect devices that are on the same level of the OSI table. Usually "like" devices. Hub to hub, computer to computer, router to router.

Some companies are making up for this with autosensing ports that will self adjust. Cisco is good for this on most of it's switches.

If you have just one you could stick that in the uplink port, too.

I have a 16 port Cisco Fasthub 200 on it's way and I just got 3 CAT6 cables from Newegg to hook 2 computers to the hub and then the hub to the cable modem. I want to have the computers networked and have simutanious internet access. Did I just screw up on the cables?

Nah, you should be good with your cabling.

Though your setup the way you have stated would only work assuming that you're planning on buying a second IP (usually about $10/mo). Otherwise you'd probably want to get another network card and stick your linux box on the modem and the hub and use that to share you connection.

So I'll need either a router or a sever between the hub and modem to hide the LAN from my ISP? I'm pretty sure the Cisco Fasthub 200 isn't a router too.

Hmmm... I was told that my ISP couldn't see past the cable modem when I bought the hub online. It's still a great piece of equipment for a lan/party at a great price.

However something has to rout each box's calls to the correct box. If each box makes a call through the ISP directly, they would be able to see this as differant IP addresses = 2 computer LAN. Server or router will look as one address to ISP but then will rout to proper LAN spokes.

Am I starting to get it?

Audioaficionado said:
So I'll need either a router or a sever between the hub and modem to hide the LAN from my ISP? I'm pretty sure the Cisco Fasthub 200 isn't a router too.

Hmmm... I was told that my ISP couldn't see past the cable modem when I bought the hub online. It's still a great piece of equipment for a lan/party at a great price.

However something has to rout each box's calls to the correct box. If each box makes a call through the ISP directly, they would be able to see this as differant IP addresses = 2 computer LAN. Server or router will look as one address to ISP but then will rout to proper LAN spokes.

Am I starting to get it?

Yeah... I work for an ISP that tries to clamp down on that with home users, but they dont get anywhere...

Back