• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is more stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antimatter

Between Win 2000 sp2 and WinXP Pro, which is the most stable? At newegg XP is a dollar cheaper, so price is really of no concern. I just want to make the most stable computer possible without having to restart everyday. And would future games play better on XP or on 2000?

I'm not really sure about xp, but 2000 is a very stable os. I hardly ever have to reboot. I think, just off the top of head, that I haven't rebooted in about 3 months or better. And it runs 24/7 in a warehouse that has been averaging 95 degrees through the daytime. It's a p4 1700 at stock. :)

They both use the NT kernel so they are both preety stable but I perfer win 2k, also get the professinal version because you are a professional right?

I would imagine 2k is more stable but not by much. If you get XP and download the updates you should be fine. XP is the newer one so I would say go with that. But install the updates as soon as you install XP.

David

Yodums2 said:
If you are going to be playing games get XP, as many games don't work on 2000.

Sorry Yodum, but I'd have to completely disagree with you. There isn't a game that's been made in the last 3 years that doesn't work on 2K (unless it's a back alley game by noone you ever have, or ever will hear of). The only game that I've been unable to get to work on 2K is "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit", which was written for a Win 9x system.

Also, between my 3 systems, I tried XP on my main rig and nothing but problems on and off for about 2 months before I went back to a monopoly of 2K systems. I'm personally going to stick with 2K as long as possible.

lord_moose said:
The only game that I've been unable to get to work on 2K is "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit", which was written for a Win 9x system.

the page file size is the reason why nfs wont run under W2k. set yours to a permanent size less than 256MB and check whether it will run or not. if it does, then you you can try with different sizes you prefer.

i dont know much about XP but from my short experience with it i still prefer W2K. i know Wxp can be tweaked to the hell but all the stuff running at default can make it more instable than 2K. ppl use to say that once you get it tweaked (background stuff and such) it will run as well as 2K.

I've had dozens of games which didn't work on Windows 2000, the only one i can remember at the moment is NBA Live 2001

I have NFS 3 and have no problems with it on my 2k machine. My page file size is 512MB; SP3 and I have the compatibility updates installed. The second compatibility update was the one that’s supposed to fix NFS 3 to run on 2k.

Yodums(2) is right though, there are a lot of games that just don’t work at all, or very well on Windows 2000. Here are a few that I know of. EA Games:FIFA 99/2002, EA Games:Superbike, FASA Interactive:Mech Warrior 3, Raven Soft:Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (works but I get weird slowdowns on all 2k machines that I have tried it on). There are others, but I don’t remember the names.

If I were you Antimatter, I would go with XP, its just as stable and supports almost every game around.

FoldingAddict said:

Yodums(2) is right though, there are a lot of games that just don’t work at all, or very well on Windows 2000. Here are a few that I know of. EA Games:FIFA 99/2002, EA Games:Superbike, FASA Interactive:Mech Warrior 3, Raven Soft:Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (works but I get weird slowdowns on all 2k machines that I have tried it on). There are others, but I don’t remember the names.

If I were you Antimatter, I would go with XP, its just as stable and supports almost every game around.

Strange, 1/2 of those games I have and they run fine on 2K. This is oddly enough sounding more and more individualistic. Well, 2K still gets my vote. I say screw XP, if for no reason more then their Activation BS they're pushing.

I had a real problem getting games to run in 2000. None of the EASPORTS series work. Go for XP Pro. I have never been so impressed by an operating system. I love everything about it.

I went from Win 98se to Win 200 Pro SP3 and its running GREAT! All my games are running smoothly, other than in-game bugs.

I would definately go with Windows 2K.

Especially for other reasons if you know about the SP1 thing for Windows XP. Not going to say much further on it.

Windows 2K will be around for a long time, it is used more in corporate environments. NT is still used in many corporate environments. XP? Anywhere? Costs too much for XP to be used. And microsoft wants a subscription OS code named Longhorn? Microsoft knows they are loosing money on purchased OS's...and the XBOX.

Don't give into Microsoft's latest and greatest attitude.. (crap I cannot say that, I hold certications from those guys..whoops)Grab a copy of Windows 2000. Not Windows XP.

I have both XP and 2000. I love 2000 more. XP is nice, has system restore etc and driver roll back. Win 2k is clearly identical with 2K.

Your option to get what ever operating system you want. Future proof would be XP. Who knows what Micro$oft will do with 2k, much like 98se and NT driver support.

"Win 2k is clearly identical with 2K."

That seems pretty self-explanatory, but thanks for clearing up any confusion.
:D

Win XP is basiccly W2k with a new gui and a couple more options :)

Stability shouldnt be to much different(From my experience)

I have ran Win XP for about 8 months, now im running W2K, I can honestly say there is hardly a dif besides *Read first sentence*

So if you have a low budget, i think W2K would be cheaper, if not! get Win xp! :)

I think XP, as an OS, is OK. It looks nice, it runs games, and it feels a lot faster and better than 98se. However, I do not like Microsoft's ethics: Product Activation is a pain in the butt, especially since I plan to replace a lot of my PC quite soon.

David

Back