• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Depot underground junction box as a reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markrb

Registered
I really think in my first go of it I want a reservoir and I have seen the Home Depot underground junction box mentioned often. I looked at it and it seems like a good choice.
My question is which one? I was thinking either the 4 x 4 x 4 ($8) or is it worth going to the 7 x 7 x 7 ($14)?
I am currently using the maxi-jet 1200 as a pump.

Almost ready. I have almost everything and have tested the block, pump, fan and heater core.

Thanks,
Mark

Well those should work fine but I recommend running inline with no res, there is absolutely no benefit to having one. Make a "T" junction in one of your lines and use it for a fill/bleed tube.

I have a few reasons I want at least a small res.
The first is I don't trust the pump not to leak, especially when it really isn't designed to run in-line.
The second is noise. I truly hate the pump humm. I used to run aquariums and that was the one part that drove me nuts. I would rather have a loud fan then the humm.

I am just curious which of the two sizes is better. I have seen the $8 price thrown around, but never an actual size.

Mark

Mark I havwe both sizes. The smaller one i use for my small Rio180 pump and the much larger one for the Via Aqua1300. Eenthough i can run the Via inline i get beter temps and its much quieter when its in the junction box.

One tip - nake sure there is a rubber seal inside the box. You will have to unscrew it at Home Depot but just nake sure cause you paying for it and i never had a leak even when it was turned upside down/sideways.

Oh just the other thing. Dont expect the big junction box to easily fit into a standard mini-toer case. Its huge!!!!!!!

I use both junction box and the Maxi pump. The res is great, you don't have to worry about bleeding the system Secondly you don't need to worry about leaks. I had my Maxi running for 8 months and it fine. Just put some silicone around the impeller housing.

Back