• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baught Retail 2100+ with hs/f ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOneDonRamon

Registered
there is like this epoxy type stuff on the bottem of the retail heatsink.I dont know if it epoxy or what it is and i know not to mix compounds...i have artic silver 3 on the core should i just take off the material off the heatsink?The manual just calls it a material and not to remove it.

First of all, if you're planning on doing any form of o/c, I'd get rid of the retail hsf and invest in a much better one.

If you're not going to o/c, then yes, remove the tape or epoxy or whatever is on the bottom of the hsf and use AS 3 instead.

The pad at the buttom of your HS is some garbage called thermal tape. IMHO it dont belong on a HS. I would remoce it with some Acetone and apply some ASIII, to get better performance from your HS.

Yeah, it's probably a thermal pad, not epoxy. Just scrape the thing off with something that's not gonna scratch the hell outta the heatsink, like your fingernails or something (don't use anything metal). Then clean the residue with acetone (nail polish remover) or rubbing alcohol, just swab it off with a qtip.

--Illah

heh well i got most of it off with my fingernails then used a q tip with nail polish remover and it smudged the residue all over the hs...so i scratched it somemore and got a little more off so like do i hafta keep using my fingernails this **** is like uber puddy that wont come off

Maybe get the goop saturated with the nail polish remover using a qtip, and then wipe it firmly with a paper towel. Sometimes when I'm cleaning a sink I'll go through 10 qtips and that's with thermal paste. It'll take more than one round.

--Illah

Illah said:
Yeah, it's probably a thermal pad, not epoxy. Just scrape the thing off with something that's not gonna scratch the hell outta the heatsink, like your fingernails or something (don't use anything metal). Then clean the residue with acetone (nail polish remover) or rubbing alcohol, just swab it off with a qtip.

--Illah

Thats a good tip I used a razor to scrape off a thermal pad once it put a nice ling deep scratch on the HSF so I lapped the retail HSF then through in the trash cause its totaly weak (worked ok for a duron [email protected]) but very quiet.

Back