• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I justify putting an AX-7 on a Duron 1.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foxforcefive

Here is my cooling dilemma, I just setup a Duron 1.2 on a Biostar M7VIG motherboard. I had a Vantec 6027D lying around, so I used it. I am getting load temps at 60C, and idle around 55.5C. Can I justify buying a $25 AX-7 heatsink for my $40 processor? I mean the heatsink would be 10% of my total cost for the whole box!

Is it worth it to keep this cheap processor cool, just to fold, putz around on the internet, etc?

BL

well defenately, its actually a really cheap heatsink! just go for it, just careful on you choice of fans, cuz some of them are really anoying... watch the dba level

The AX-7 might be overkill, but you could always transfer it to an XP or Tbred system if you ever decide to upgrade the chip. If you have no plans of upgrading goto SVC and get one of their $10 or less HSF combos. The SVC GoldenGate 40 is really good for it's price, $9.99. All copper thin fin 60mm cooler with 40 CFM fan (kinda loud though).

--Illah

Illah said:
The AX-7 might be overkill, but you could always transfer it to an XP or Tbred system if you ever decide to upgrade the chip. If you have no plans of upgrading goto SVC and get one of their $10 or less HSF combos. The SVC GoldenGate 40 is really good for it's price, $9.99. All copper thin fin 60mm cooler with 40 CFM fan (kinda loud though).

That's kinda what I have now in the Vantec 6027D. My MB does accept XP processors, so I guess I could justify it.

Thanks for the help all.

BL

i have a fan that pushes just over that of the stelth(3cfm more) and with a duron 1g with an ambient room temp of 36C we got like 56C load temps not oced. as i assume your ambient temp is a little less than mine you wont want to oc that chip much. id say to get like a cheep 35cfm or so fan.

What are your ambient temps? And what are you getting for case temperatures? Stuffing your system with the biggest heatsink won't do justice if it's surroundings are subpar.

yeah but on what heatsink wizard?
my XP is oced by 350Mhz and i never get that hot
mind u have a faster fan on it but when i tried it with a vantec fan i was still able to get up to 1625mhz with under 50C load

sorry forgot to mention that was iwth an ax-7 i had that fan on. blake knows thos fans i belive i sold him a few a while back.

AX-7's arent that expensive, and they do a great job of cooling. Definately worth the extra money to get a little bit better heatsink, than go with a cheaper one that wont work as well.

Back