• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Connections on Windows XP Only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

I am running Windows XP Professional, and I have a problem with my modem, a Compaq 56K (Conextant)(sp?), getting bad connections! This only happens on windows XP, 2000/me/98se/98/95 all take it fine...only windows XP gives me this crap! Its not my ISP because my friend uses the same ISP and never had this problem. The bad connections are like...youre on and working for about 2 minutes, the the connection dies...and it takes like 5 minutes to kill...like something locked up. And also, sometimes it takes forever to verify the username and pass. The ISP is Prodigy!... I was thinking about getting an Intel Chipset modem becuase I found a V.92 Intel for 20 dollah at Vitality Computer ...A local hardware shop.

Thanx in advance for the help...

--\///\--KLowD9x--\///\--

Call your ISPs tech support (yeah I know, but I work for an ISP, and they may have different settings to the ISP I work for!) and get them to check your DUN settings... Try unticking Enable LCP extensions, make sure Client for Microsoft Networks is ticked too...

Try disabling the service "QoS Scheduler", and unbinding it from your modem (and NIC). You probably aren't using anything that would be listening for Quality Of Service packets.

Also, (it's been a long time since I've tinkered in modem settings, but..) try un-checking "Log on to network" in your modem or connection properties. It's usually a waste of time running it, and that may solve your login problem (or make it impossible for you to log in, one or the other, depending on the network type).

did that, seems to be just Prodigy!, im using MSN now and it doesnt give me the disconnects, but I have to use the MSN dial up software, which is like AOL, which makes me not like it. Oh well, I can deal. Does anyone know how to get on msn with DUN? It used to be MSN/[email protected] but that doesnt work any more :eh?: ...

Back