• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing FSB and PCI Stability-KT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OshadowO

Well hopefully this is the right board for this issue.
I recently upped my FSB using the FSB plus method from 100Mhz. I soon found that under stress my machine crashes if the FSB is over 104.
I'm under the impression that it is my soundcard SB Audigy that causes this because this happens while playing unreal tournament and all of a sudden I get a high pitched whine from my speakers and my PC freezes. I've checked the temp right after reboot and it was around 44-46 C so I don't think its that.
Is there some way to improve stability for the soundcard/pci devices? I cannot OC(atleast I think I can't) using the mutliplier becuase my chip already uses the highest setting.
Specs:
1.4 T-bird 100Mhz
Abit KT7-RAID
BIOS version 7N (its the latest official one in case the numbers wrong)
FSB is @104 right now PC is stable. Temps are 45 C at peak.
Voltage thingy is 1.775(one step above default)
SB Audigy
Voodoo 4500
512 MB PC133 RAM
Win XP.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks:)

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

The problem really is the KT133 chipset not your soundcard. The high pitch scream right before/during a lock instance isnt a real indication of your problem. What kind of HSF do you have? The other possibility is your voltage is too low. If you feel you have a good HSF then I say max the voltage & see how far you can clock it even if you are limited by the multiplier & a non-functioning 1/4 divisor.

Since you have a Creative soundcard I suggest you DISABLE a few things in your ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES namely the PCI DELAY TRANSACTION & DELAY TRANSACTION setting to help you with most sound card related issues also I'm not sure if the 7N BIOS has it but if you do have K7 CLK_CTL SELECT you should set it to OPTIMAL, all under ACF.

Sonny thanks for the welcome and the great advice. It worked:)
MY FSB is 109 right now and my Chip seems stable at 1526 Mhz:) Temps @ 49 C under peak conditions. I had to bump voltage up a couple of notches to do that. All in all Not bad for a first timer eh? :D
Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new found speed. Just make sure to keep those temps in check & when you feel like helping out click the link on my sig:beer:

Back