• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NForce2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was getting ready to post the same thing. So..heard anything DS? Or anyone else that knows?

I won't be getting one until the have a revision or two out but I would still like to see what's up.

I'm guessing late September and possibly into October. I'd also wait on revisions too since it is a new chipset.

Yodums

Abit will be launching its first of the nForce2 boards in September. Asus will be ahead by launching there A7N8X the last week this month.

Epox and Gigabyte have now issued that there boards would not be available untill September. :(

I'd also like to note, for Abit fans that there will be a special edition MAX version of the nForce2 which will be of hand picked nForce2 chipsets which Abit believes will be capable of doing over 450MHz+. Abit also says that there is no Ser/Par or PS/2 inputs on there new MAX series as well.

Just a little hunch, I think all this 450MHz stuff is what nVidia used to hit that 5GB/s benchmark that they claimed awhile back. I think with CL2 timings that is possible!

AMD themselves says we will be blown away from the performance that nForce2 delivers!

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~37582,00.html

DS-Master

So, I guess it makes sense to wait b4 building my next system.

Still got my old soyo 6vca w/ celly II 566 at 850 (was up to 1003!) so I'm in desperate need for an upgrade soon- esp. as PC has started randomly locking up!

Thinking about Athlon 2000+ as minimum CPU, don't know what mobo, but hopefully have RAID on board (£20 extra on cost of mobo compared to £50 for RAID PCI card)

Finally AMD gets a chipset that has as high memory bandwith as The Intel chipsets have, Finally :)

DS-Master said:
I'd also like to note, for Abit fans that there will be a special edition MAX version of the nForce2 which will be of hand picked nForce2 chipsets which Abit believes will be capable of doing over 450MHz+. Abit also says that there is no Ser/Par or PS/2 inputs on there new MAX series as well.

DS-Master

I am waiting for that. a max where they work out the bugs combined with the best chipset and they are hand picked for good overclocking.... what more can a guy ask for? a 225+ mhz barton... /drool

DS-Master said:
Abit also says that there is no Ser/Par or PS/2 inputs on there new MAX series as well.

That sucks though... I need the PS/2 ports for my wireless mouse and keyboard! Is this just the Abit's?

--Illah

That sucks though... I need the PS/2 ports for my wireless mouse and keyboard! Is this just the Abit's?

--Illah

This is only for ABIT's "MAX Series" mainboards... I need the PS2 Prot for my keyboard, and a serial port for my UPS... Any way, I'l be able to endure.

I just thought of something though, since when has mainboards BIOS's been able to recognize USB things, like a keyboard. My dad bought a USB keyboard and had to return it because it wouldn't boot...

"Keyboard error or no keyboard present"
"Press F1 to continue"

LOL, I always love seing those kinda things!

steveyboy said:
What do you mean the athalon cant use it? You mean you cant put a athalon in a nforce 2 board?

He means that the FSB bandwidth is smaller than the memory bandwidth, so only in certain situations when that extra bandwidth is put to use (such as using the onboarod video), will a large performance increase be noticable. You can put an Athlon in a nForce2 board.

dont forget about AGP and PCI, since they can access your memory directly through hypertransport which operates at 6.4GB/s

Essentially, your southbridge can make full use of twin bank ddr400.

DS-Master

Back