• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing INTERNET between Linux and Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I have 1 net connection, but 2 computers. Can I share the internet from my windows box to my linux box?

The easiest way to do this is to connect the Linux box to the net and have Windows connect through it.

Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) may work, but I'm not sure.

David

krazykraut said:
David could you give me a list of Suse forums that you no please.:D :D

Err.... SuSE Forums? These are the only forums that I talk linux in :D

Try www.linuxnewbie.org I think they have forums, and probably will have good links to other linux sites.

David

Windows' ICS will share the Internet to Linux or anything else just fine.

I was really surprized when I found out that the windows ICS was not restricted to windows only. It's not very M$-like. Maybe there's been a Windows Router Project? *shudder*

Them trying to restrict a strictly TCP/IP function like that would probably have been way more of a headache than it was worth.

XWRed1 said:
Them trying to restrict a strictly TCP/IP function like that would probably have been way more of a headache than it was worth.

They could always implement another proprietary protocol on top of TCP.

parkan said:

Sssh! Don't give them ideas ;)

I always thought ICS was windows only. You learn new things all the time...

David

parkan said:

And what would this protocol do? Wouldn't have anything to do with the Internet at that point, and then they'd get alot of people poopooing their ICS :p

XWRed1 said:

And what would this protocol do? Wouldn't have anything to do with the Internet at that point, and then they'd get alot of people poopooing their ICS :p

People are poopooing all their software, and look at thier revenues :rolleyes:

The protocol would prbably require product # in the header somewhere and a copy of each packet will be sent to microsoft....

Back