• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mission Impossible: Removing and ax-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I have tried for about 20 minutes now, and the danm ax-7 just wont come off. I press the little (very little) tab. I press down, and I see that it goes down below the clips and it just stays there. Nothing. What Do you do?

Skiing Squirrel said:
I have tried for about 20 minutes now, and the danm ax-7 just wont come off. I press the little (very little) tab. I press down, and I see that it goes down below the clips and it just stays there. Nothing. What Do you do?
Use a smallish flat head screw driver, there is a slot for it on the clip. Push down to disengage from the 3 lugs, then gently pry the clip AWAY from the lugs and voila, it comes right off. Just be careful and take your time.

Bah, tried that, and it didnt work, Ill try again and see how it works. God I feel like a super n00b when I asked these types of questions.

if you put the screw driver in there rite they are sooo easy to get on and off! i found this out after i took about 15-30mis installing one, then i went on to the second one, 15-30 SECONDS! put it in with a 45degree angle into that slot, push down then bend toward the heatsink and let it come up, its easy as pie once you get it rite!

I don't have an ax-7 but I use needle nose pliers to pull heatsink clips off. You can hold the clip tightly and have more controll, not much chance of slipping.

if there is a thermal pad on it instead of thermal paste it will require a little more effort. When i removed my old heat sink last night, i wedged a knife under the clip then used the flat head to push down, while pushing out with the knife, it worked great.

-Steve

To make heatsink installation MUCH MUCH easier and safer I suggest getting one of these...
A46660_3.JPG

If you use the screwdriver WITHOUT a bit in the socket it will be able to hold onto the prong on almost any heatsink clip without slipping.

Back