• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+ wires

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mlbarse153

Registered
I recently bought a Volcano 7+ heat sink for my AMD Athlon 2000+. I have tried to identify from www.thermaltake.com site what are the two motherboard fan wire plugs. One is a brownish plug on a yellow wire that goes to the external fan control switch and the other plug is yellow which goes directly to the CPU fan itself. I am planning on using this on a SOYO Dragon Plus mobo. Any suggestions on which fan pulls they go to on the mobo and if it will work on the SOYO? Does anyone know of a site to view the "how to install" of this heat sink? Thanks!

I have finally found on Thermaltake's site that they say the yellow wire is for the RPM signal and the red wire is for power for the speed control. Crazyman, you posted that the yellow wire should go to CPUFAN 1 as per in the SOYO manual on page 15-16. So where does the red wire plug into on the mobo? Does it go to one of the chassis cooling fan plugs (page 30)? Both yellow wires have only one wire on each plug. Do I also need to change my BIOS settings to disable the FOC? Has anyone installed this exact hsf on a SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus?

... i have it...

when u look at the "switch" u see a yellow wire with a brown end, but when you see the wire coming out of the fan with red and black there is no yellow. PULL THE YELLOW ONE OFF OF THE SWITCH. the other yellow one will go to cpu fan1 on your mobo. Peace.

OK... so it hooks up like this?

black/red cpu fan wire plugs into black/red switch wire
red/black switch power plugs into PSU

that leaves 2 yellow tach wires.. 1 on the fan and 1 on the switch.

Which one do I plug into CPUfan1? the yellow fan wire or the yellow switch wire?

Does the remaining yellow tach wire plug into CPUfan2 or does it just hang around unplugged?

Don't ask me to explain why they put it there, but look at the yellow wire coming off the switch... do you see any way it could measure anything? it attaches to nothing.

Back