• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitemetalx

when i play cs.. or sometimes any game...

like the game gets stuck and the sound keeps repeating it self

any know what the problem is?

Could be many things...

Can you give us some more info? Hardware/OS/driver specifics. Overclocked?

-Rav

Im willing to bet something is overheating, or if u are runnin on winme, i had that for awhile and had loads of issues with many games, im back to 98se now and glad to be !

it happened with jedi knignt 2 outcast also times

Last edited:
as Rav mentioned, it could be caused by many things starting from drivers to heat.
run dxdiag and make sure it reports no errors in the video acceleration tests and the files tab.

Live Rav mentioned... some specifics are appreciated. What chip are you using? What are your ambient temps? Have you ever overclocked the chip in the past? Even overclocking your chip wrong ONCE can lock the voltage or speed at the high setting... even if you reset the defaults. Give us your specs.

what u have is called a conflict. Either ur temps are high, there is some confusion with the bios and your IRQ settings or other things. I had the same problem when i first got my computer. when playing games the temps would shoot up to 59 degrees and would freeze after 45 minutes. U can try taking off the side panel, adding fans, replacing your thermal pad or buying a new heatsink for your CPU. I did 3 of those and i never had problems again. For more on CPU cooling be sure to read the wealth of information on the site as well as the cooling forum.

I get that all the time with the Urban Terror mod for Quake III. It only happens when connecting to server. It is not heat related for me. I think it happens mostly when 2 or more peeps are entering at the same time. It is beginning to be a P@## off if ya know what I mean.

Darth said:
what u have is called a conflict. Either ur temps are high, there is some confusion with the bios and your IRQ settings or other things. I had the same problem when i first got my computer. when playing games the temps would shoot up to 59 degrees and would freeze after 45 minutes. U can try taking off the side panel, adding fans, replacing your thermal pad or buying a new heatsink for your CPU. I did 3 of those and i never had problems again. For more on CPU cooling be sure to read the wealth of information on the site as well as the cooling forum.

Hmm...

According to my Bios, my Duron runs at 74 C idle. I used to have a problem, which was when I was playing some high intensive game, after a while the motherboard would beep signaling it would be too hot and the Duron would slow MAJOR. I dusted about the fans and fixed the airflow and it stopped doing that. It might be do to the ambient temp rising above 90 F here.

I think your problem is that you are running out of RAM to quickly, and Windows is trying to recover it. I suggest you go to here and download RAM Idle. Make sure you optimize and have a sufficent amount of RAM left. For me, I found arond 160 MB free is fine for me, but it depends on how much RAM you have. I'd say about half.

-PC

Back